Sound and Storage
When our client stopped by our store to upgrade his Jeep Wrangler, he had two requirements: he wanted the best-possible sound without having to compromise storage space (especially in the trunk area) and have a touchscreen that was easy to use but was powerful enough to support a wide variety of sources like Apple CarPlay, a backup camera, and tuning options to get that next-level sound quality.
A Kenwood eXcelon Double-DIN AV Navigation System was the clear winner for this system build. It has Garmin navigation, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and camera inputs built into it along with one of the best-sounding audio processors in the business. We were even able to retain the audio controls on the steering wheel so the client didn’t have to lose that important convenience while taking his baby off road!
Kenwood DNX893S Highlights
- CD/DVD player with large 6.95” touchscreen
- Built-in Bluetooth - hands-free calling and streaming audio
- Built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- Drive EQ+ for high-performance audio
- Garmin GPS navigation comes standard
- Apple CarPlay & Android Auto compatible
- HD Radio tuner included
- iPod/iPhone/iPad control through USB or Bluetooth
- USB playback of FLAC high-resolution audio files (up to 192kHz/24bit)
- Steering wheel control compatible (adapter not included)
We selected Focal expert series performance component speakers, which are known for their premium performance and resistance to unwanted vibrations (a must-have on a Jeep). The client wanted an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) look and feel, so we had to reuse the existing tweeter pods on the top of the dash. By removing the OEM tweeter grilles and substituting the grilles that came with Focal’s PS 165 F Expert 6.5" 2-Way Component speaker kit, we were able to give him what he was looking for with only a slight compromise (seeing the Focal grilles in the front of those pods). The resulting look (and sound, of course) was slick and engaging, and did not disrupt the signature "Jeep look."
Roll Bar Speakers
Because we had used Focal car speakers in the front half of this installation, it was important to keep the same manufacturer on-board when we replaced the overhead speakers. We wanted something that would reside behind the OEM grilles but offer superior sound quality compared to the existing speakers. Enter the Focal 165 AC Access 6 1/2-inch coaxial speaker kit. Tucked behind the existing grilles and thriving on the power from the upgraded amplifier, these speakers sound amazing whether you're riding along to Pearl Jam or bumping Kanye's new beats.
To power this high-performance speaker system, a JL Audio 4-Channel Class D Amplifier was employed to get the job done right. Boasting 150 watts per channel, we wanted a very strong but compact amplifier that wouldn’t make an impact on that important storage space we mentioned earlier. We were able to place this amplifier under the driver’s seat to maximize both sound and comfort.
JL Audio HD600/4 Highlights
- Maximum power (150W) across four channels
- High fidelity sound for your ride
- MOSFET for a consistent power supply
- Single Cycle Control™ tech eliminates signal distortion
- Remote (optional) for level control
- LED power indicators
- 4/2 channel operation
- Speaker and preamp-level inputs including RCA
- Variable high-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- Variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- Dimensions: 10-13/16"L x 8-7/8"W x 1-15/16"H
Back It Up
Relying on a tried-and-true piece from NAV-TV, we used the NTV-KIT614 backup camera which was fitted behind the spare tire on the rear of the Jeep. It pokes through that rear wheel for an unobstructed view of the area behind the Jeep. It looks factory-installed and doesn’t interfere with the removal of that wheel, if that was ever required. Now, the customer will be able to see anything (or anyone) behind the Jeep in all of those blind spots that the Wrangler has - safety first, Jeep lovers!
Interested in upgrading a different car? Learn more about our car stereo design and installation services here.
A man, a Jeep, and his dogs... a real love story.
When all was said and done, the client (and his rescue pups!) were thrilled with the upgrades.