The McIntosh XR50 Speakers Are an Elegant Small Speaker Solution
sufficiently powered, it’s the most astonishing small speaker you’ve ever heard. It’s for someone who has a substantial amp and wants a pair of
speakers that sound like they’re six feet tall – but are only about a foot tall.” – Ken Zelin, World Wide Stereo McIntosh Product Specialist
- McIntosh signature sound quality
- One ¾-inch Titanium Dome Tweeter with Neodymium-Iron-Boron Alloy magnets
- Two 2-inch Inverted Titanium Dome Midrange Drivers with Neodymium-Iron-Boron Alloy magnets
- One 6-inch cast-frame woofer
- McIntosh’s patented LD/HP Magnetic Circuit design for lowest distortion
- Second Order Designed Crossover Network uses capacitors and inductors with low loss and high current capacity
- Vertical port with rear opening to increase bass output
- Enclosure built with non-parallel internal side-walls to reduce standing waves
- Minimum power 75 watts, maximum 300 watts per channel
- Dimensions (W x H x D) – 17" X 8" X 11-3/4"
- Weight: 19.5 pounds
- Warranty: 5 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Meet the McIntosh XR50 - the Audiophile's Bookshelf Speaker
There are many capable small speakers on the market today. Their sound ranges from good to excellent, and they can fill a small to medium-size listening room with music and movies. But finding a small speaker that plays BIG is a trickier proposition. Enter the McIntosh XR50 – a bookshelf-size speaker with a huge, deep soundstage and a full, rich sound, without the need for a subwoofer in most rooms. It will satisfy critical audiophiles, fit in any room without becoming the visual center of attention, and pair perfectly with any of McIntosh’s legendary power amplifiers – the more power the better with these little marvels... up to 300 watts.
Looks like Clark Kent …
The XR50 looks elegant if subdued; no over-the-top styling here, though McIntosh’s logo can be illuminated in the iconic soft green glow when connected to compatible components. The attractively tapered cabinet reduces internal resonances. Available Gloss Black or Red Walnut finishes blend with any décor. And the magnetic grill – sonically transparent but removable for a more striking appearance – is draped in basic black knit.
… With Super Performance
Behind that understated grill beats a heart of pure McIntosh magic. A ¾-inch titanium dome tweeter is flanked by two 2-inch inverted domes for the midrange, for better dispersion and power-handling capabilities with lower distortion. The 6-inch woofer uses the company’s patented Low Distortion/High Performance (or LD/HP) construction for improved linear response from the magnetic voice coil at the lowest frequencies. The crossover circuitry is also engineered for greater linearity, even at higher volumes. What this all adds up to is unparalleled clarity at every frequency and power level.
Fits Into the McIntosh Family
Pushing strong and clear bass from a smaller box takes a healthy dose of power. So, while the specified minimum power is 75 watts per channel, they really sing when supplied with the kind of prodigious power – up to 300 watts per channel. And while the XR50s will happily perform solo in a high-end stereo setup, they are versatile enough to play surrounds to McIntosh’s floor-standing four-way XR100 tower systems in the most sophisticated home theater systems.
XR50 is a cleverly engineered compact bookshelf speaker that produces the rich, full sound one would expect from much larger speakers. The magnetically attached grill is acoustically transparent and covered with a neutral black cloth. Unique front panel McIntosh logo may be illuminated when used with McIntosh components. Amplifiers from 75 to 300 watts are appropriate power for XR50. An additional connection passes on Meter Illumination Control for compatible power amplifiers. When connecting the XR50 3-way bookshelf speaker to an amplifier, it is important to use cables of adequate size so that there is no signal loss. This bookshelf speaker can be used in both music and home theater systems.
McIntosh Labs XR50 Specifications:
- Impedance Nominal: 8 Ohms
- Power Rating: 75 to 300 Watts
- Frequency Response: 40Hz to 45kHz
- Sound Pressure Level, 2.8V/1m: 81dB
- Crossover: 500Hz, 8kHz
- Number of Woofers: 1
- Woofer Size: 6"
- Woofer Type: Cast Frame, LD/HP®, Poly Cone
- Number of Midranges: 2
- Midrange Size: 2"
- Midrange Type: Inverted Titanium Dome
- Number of Tweeters: 1
- Tweeter Size: 3/4"
- Tweeter Type: Titanium Dome
- System Type: Ported 3-Way Bookshelf
- Grille: Black knit cloth, magnetically attached
Weights & Dimensions
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 8" (20.3cm) x 17" (43cm) x 11-3/4" (29.85cm)
- Weight: 19.5 lbs (8.9 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 25 lbs (11 kg)