The MAC6700 Brings McIntosh Performance Standards to the Stereo Receiver
Equipped with one of McIntosh’s legendary power amplifiers – 200 true watts per channel
into any speaker load – plus one of the company’s most complete control preamps, the MAC6700 is far more than a simple stereo receiver. Add a state-of-the-art digital decoder, and pristine phono and AM/FM tuner
sections, all on one single solid chassis, and you've got the audio equivalent of a Ferrari in your living room.
- Legendary McIntosh Audio Performance Standards
- 200 watts per channel into 2, 4 or 8 ohms, through McIntosh’s unique Autoformer
- Ultra low distortion and ideal speaker impedance matching
- High-sensitivity, low noise AM/FM tuner with 20 AM and 20 FM presets
- 11 inputs, including high-level balanced XLR and 3 digital
- Onboard DAC decoding high-resolution music files up to 192 kHz/32 bits
- Two phono inputs, for moving magnet and low-output moving coil cartridges
- High Drive headphone amp for ideal personal listening with all headsets
- Power Guard continuously monitors signal to protect speakers and amplifier from clipping
- Sentry Monitor and Thermal Protection avoid damage from short circuits and excessive heat
- Home Theater Pass-Through integrates with existing surround systems
- Dual-layer chassis for lowest noise
- Dimmable peak power level meters
- Dimensions (W x H x D) – 17-1/2" X 7=5/8" X 22"
- Weight: 76 lbs.
- Warranty: 3 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Meet the MAC6700 - Peerless in the Stereo Receiver Category
McIntosh’s MAC6700 is the rare stereo receiver from an audiophile company dedicated to the superiority of separates. It’s a receiver designed to sit at the center of the most exacting stereo systems, as well as to integrate easily into existing home theater surround setups. (If you don’t need terrestrial radio capabilities, we recommend the similar MA7900 integrated amp with five-band equalizer.)
Handcrafted, highest-end, made in America – where do you begin to explain the enduring aura of McIntosh audio? From the timeless elegance of muted blue and green hues through dark-glass front plates, to the iconic analog power meters that swing hypnotically to the music, no name is more instantly recognizable to generations of music lovers and audiophiles. Founded in 1949, McIntosh has always crafted a limited line of conservatively engineered electronics that are designed for silken sound and built to last, and often gain in value as years pass.
With Great Power …
Nearly all modern receivers specify power output at a single resistance, or “impedance,” of 8 ohms. But all speakers vary widely across their frequency range, and many speakers, particularly high-end and more esoteric designs such as ribbons and electrostats, can average 4 ohms or less. That can lead ordinary amplifiers to higher distortion, more heat buildup and, in extreme cases, instability. Only McIntosh uses a custom-wound transformer output on its amps to perfectly match the speakers to their engine. For each output channel, the MAC6700’s unique Autoformer offers separate connections for 2, 4 or 8 ohms, guaranteeing a full 200 watts per channel with vanishingly low distortion and rock-solid stability into virtually any speaker sold today.
… Comes Great Responsibility
The natural temptation is to play a receiver as imposing as the MAC6700, shall we say, loud. And even at more normal listening levels, transients in music and movie soundtracks can reach the upper limits of an amplifier’s capabilities, where distortion rises rapidly (a condition called “clipping”). McIntosh’s sophisticated Power Guard system constantly compares and adjusts the input and output signals to imperceptibly prevent clipping at the upper limits, protecting the speakers (and your ears) while allowing full enjoyment of the receiver’s power and dynamics.
Ultimate Stereo, Ultimately Control
The highly-sensitive tuner section of the MAC6700 is engineered to pull nearly every possible channel out of thin air, offering 20 AM and 20 FM presets. The preamp/control center offers a full array of 11 audio inputs, with levels you can “trim” to match relative volumes, all switchable and controllable from the elegant new remote control. Two ultra-low noise phono connections handle a standard moving-magnet and a low-output moving-coil cartridge – and even that latter input allows users to “trim” the impedance to match the cartridge. A pair of balanced XLR inputs allows for noise-free connections to other audiophile and semi-pro equipment. And Home Theater Pass-Through lets you seamlessly add the MAC6700’s power and flexibility to your existing surround system.
In the Service of Sound
Three digital inputs (optical, coaxial, USB) feed into the MAC6700’s advanced digital-to-analog (DAC) circuitry, which can handle the conversion of today’s high-resolution music files up to 192 kHz/32 bit. McIntosh even builds its headphone outputs with equal concern for musicality, with the proprietary High Drive headphone amplifier feeding clean power to virtually every type of headset. And a dual-chassis structure isolates noise-inducing elements from noise-susceptible circuitry in separate shielded and layered sections.
And Oh, Those Beautiful Meters
Even though the MAC6700 is an all-in-one receiver, it comes equipped with McIntosh’s well-known baby-blues – the iconic peak power meters that adorn most of the company’s amplifiers. Yes, in part they are a design statement, and in part they’re a reflection of McIntosh’s heritage from analog audio’s formative years. But they’re also informative: They serve as a reminder, at even ordinary listening levels, that realistic sound reproduction demands a deep well of reserve power. The clean, true 200 watts per channel of the MAC6700 offer that and more. So you can let the music— and the meters — carry you away.
- Power Output per Channel: 200 Watts
- Speaker Impedance: 2, 4, or 8 Ohms
- Rated Power Band: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005%
- Dynamic Headroom: 2dB
- Frequency Response +0,-0.5dB: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Frequency Response, +0, -3dB: 10Hz to 100kHz
- Sensitivity Phono (Moving Coil): 0.25mV
- Sensitivity Phono (Moving Magnet): 2.5mV
- Sensitivity High Level (Balanced / Unbalanced): 0.5V/0.25V
- Sensitivity (Power Amp): 1.4V
- Signal To Noise Ratio (Moving Coil): 82dB
- Signal To Noise Ratio (Moving Magnet): 84dB
- Signal To Noise Ratio (High Level): 95dB
- Signal To Noise Ratio (Power Amp): 113dB
- Input Impedance (Balanced / Unbalanced): 20K/20K
- Damping Factor: >40
- Maximum Output (Balanced / Unbalanced): 8V Unbalanced
- Headphone Output: Yes, High Drive
- High Level Inputs Unbalanced: 5 Stereo
- High Level Inputs Balanced: 1 Stereo
- Variable Outputs Unbalanced: 2 Stereo
- Variable Outputs Balanced: 0
- Digital USB Input: 1
- Digital Coaxial Input: 1
- Digital Optical Input: 1
- Phono Moving Magnet: Yes
- Phono Moving Coil: Yes
- Home Theater Pass Through: Yes
- Tone Controls: Bass and Treble
- Tone Bypass and Input Assign: Yes
- RS232 Control Input: Yes
- Power Control Output: Yes
- Rear Panel Data Ports: Yes
- Rear Panel IR Sensor Input: Yes
- Input Level Match: Yes
- Dual Layer Chassis: Yes
- Output Meters: Yes
- Tube or Solid State: Solid State
- Power Requirement: 120V 50/60Hz, 4.8A
- Standby Power Requirement: <0.25 Watts
- Output Autoformer: Yes
Weights & Dimensions
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/2" (44.45cm) x 7-5/8" (19.37cm) x 22" (55.88cm)
- Weight: 76 lbs (34.5 kg)
Customer Q & A
Have a functionality, compatibility, or otherwise product-specific question about this product? Ask it here! If you have a customer service or shipping question, please direct it to our customer service department
The other advantage of bi-amping is getting more power to your speakers in order to get extended bass and smoother overall sound. Thanks to the Autoformers, the amp's power is transformed McIntosh to be perfectly optimized for any resistance. That means even without bi-amping, McIntosh gives some of the best sound and extended bass in the industry. This receiver has one set of 8 ohm taps, one set of 4 ohm taps, and one set of 2 ohm taps.