McIntosh MB50 Streaming Audio Player Overview
There’s no denying the digital music revolution has shifted from downloads to streaming music. That’s where the McIntosh MB50 Streaming Audio Player comes into play. The MB50 integrates with your audio system and home Wi-Fi network, opening up a world of high quality sound using DTS’s high-performance Play-Fi platform. It’s simple to set up and your preferred computer or handheld device controls the entire listening experience, giving you instant access to thousands of songs at your finger tips!
- McIntosh’s superior quality and signature sound
- Classic appearance and compact size
- Quick system integration
- Works with Amazon Alexa
- Hi-Res wireless audio managed by DTS Play-Fi (free app)
- Support for MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV audio files (24-bit/192kHz)
- Access to popular streaming music services
- Internal preamp with connections for external sources
- Front panel quarter inch headphone jack
- USB port for wired network connection (ethernet adapter sold separately)
- Dual Wi-Fi antennas for a strong wireless connection (802.11 a/b/g/n)
- Dimensions (WxHxD)– 11-1/2” x 3-1/2” x 15-1/2”
- Weight – 8.5 pounds
- Warranty – 3 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
McIntosh is a brand that embraces its rich audio heritage and classic equipment designs, but that doesn’t mean it’s adverse to innovation. The MB50 is a powerful compact component that carries modern playback prowess matched by quality that simply says McIntosh. The player’s streaming platform – DTS Play-Fi – delivers a world of crystal clear audio that sounds natural and smooth, making the MB50 the perfect component to introduce wireless convenience into an audiophile grade system.
Classic Design & Style
The MB50 is loaded with the character and fine touches that only McIntosh can deliver. Its compact nature speaks to convenience, but its looks are inline with other components the company manufactures. Its black glass front panel and stainless steel appointments are accompanied by that well-known glowing green logo; the MB50 looks like a classic right out of the box.
Simple Set Up
Getting the MB50 up and running is quick and easy. First, decide on a connection option. McIntosh offers both balanced and unbalanced analog outputs, in addition to coaxial and optical for those preferring the digital route. Next, connect the player to your network, download the free DTS Play-Fi app, and start listening to great sounding music! And because the MB50 uses dual antennas for network connectivity, you’re guaranteed to experience smooth playback without dropouts.
Play-Fi’s Superior Performance
The Play-Fi advantage includes jaw-dropping playback quality and total ease of use, marrying the two features that wireless users want the most. You’ll enjoy streaming true high-definition CD quality audio (16-Bit/48kHz) for an amazing music experience. And for those that want access to even higher resolutions, the MB50’s “Critical Listening Mode” can be engaged to deliver Hi-Res performance to a single device without down sampling (up to 24-Bit/96kHz).
Of course, sound quality is meaningless without the music. Using the Play-Fi app, you can stream digital music files from your phone or personal computer. And because the MB50 is DLNA compliant, you can link to files stored on DLNA-certified NAS drives (and computers) connected to your home network. Play-Fi also provides access to lots of music services, including TIDAL, Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, Amazon Music, and Internet Radio.
Turn Other Sources Into Wireless Sound
The MB50 carries a single analog and two digital inputs to allow for external audio devices to be connected directly to the player. This, in essence, allows the MB50 to act as a preamp, which is a neat bonus feature. The audio level can be set to either fixed or variable. With sources connected, the MB50 can stream audio directly to other Play-Fi devices (such as a Play-Fi wireless speaker) connected to your home’s network.
Handcrafted in AmericaIt’s no secret that true audiophiles honor McIntosh’s distinctive image and signature sound, and for good reason. Founded in 1949, the company has consistently set standards for performance and reliability across the industry. Continuing its traditions, McIntosh still handcrafts each of its spectacular audio components in Binghamton, NY, with an unwavering commitment to delivering the best audio experience possible.
- TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: 0.005%
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: +/-0.5dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- MAXIMUM VOLTS OUT (BALANCED / UNBALANCED): 12/6 V RMS
- SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO: 100dB
- OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: Less than 200 ohms (Unbalanced and Balanced)
- DYNAMIC RANGE: 98dB
- INPUTS UNBALANCED: 1 Stereo
- OUTPUTS UNBALANCED: 1 Stereo
- OUTPUTS BALANCED: 1 Stereo
- DIGITAL COAXIAL INPUT: 1
- DIGITAL COAXIAL OUTPUT: 1
- DIGITAL OPTICAL INPUT: 1
- DIGITAL OPTICAL OUTPUT: 1
- DIGITAL USB INPUT: 1 (used for firmware updates and network connection via a special adapter sold separately)
- DIGITAL USB AUDIO OUTPUT: 0
- NETWORK CONNECTION: Wireless
- DVI OUTPUT: 0
- HDMI OUTPUT: 0
- ESATA INPUT: 0
- DIGITAL INPUT FORMAT: SPDIF (PCM)
- DIGITAL INPUT SAMPLE RATE: Coaxial and Optical: 44.1kHz to 192kHz, 24-Bit
- DIGITAL OUTPUT FORMAT: SPDIF (PCM)
- DIGITAL OUTPUT SAMPLE RATE: Up to 24-Bit/192kHz
- POWER CONTROL INPUT: 1
- POWER CONTROL OUTPUT: 1
- REAR PANEL DATA INPUT: 0
- REAR PANEL IR SENSOR INPUT: 0
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D): 11.5" (29.2cm) x 3-1/2" (8.9cm) x 15-1/2" (39.4cm)
- WEIGHT: 8.5 lbs (3.9kg)
Customer Q & A
Have a functionality, compatibility, or otherwise product-specific question about this product? Ask it here! If you have a customer service or shipping question, please direct it to our customer service department
Can this unit control with app on my phone ? Thanks