Focal ES 165 K2 Overview
The ES 165 K2 6-1/2” 2-way car component speakers from Focal are impressive, to say the least. Kevlar woofer cones, aramid woven fiber inverted dome tweeters, and the Tuned Mass Damper (TMD) rubber surround are just a few of the pieces of this complex, but super-sounding, speaker system.
- 2-way component speaker kit comprised of tweeters, 6-1/2” woofers, and a pair of crossovers
- Kevlar sandwich woofer cones for clean mid-range and dynamic mid-bass performance
- Aramid fiber “M”-shaped inverted dome tweeters for exquisite highs and excellent sound dispersion
- Tuned Mass Damper (TMD®) rubber surround to minimize distortion
- 2-ohm impedance
- Up to 100 watts of continuous power handling
- Peak power handling: 200 watts
- Frequency response range: 60Hz – 22kHz
- Sensitivity: 92.8dB
- Top-mount depth: 2-15/16”
- Grilles included
- Warranty: 1 year (World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for all brands we sell)
Home Audio Sound, but for the Car
Most people think that it’s impossible to get rich, clean sound from a car audio environment. That’s not true and the sound gurus at Focal prove it with the ES 165 K2 speakers. The 6-1/2” 2-way K2 Power component kit is comprised of some of the finest materials available to produce some really incredible sound. You won’t believe your ears.
Sandwiched Kevlar Woofer Cones, TMD® Surrounds, and More
You might be familiar with Kevlar: it’s used in bulletproof vests, racing sails, bicycle tires, and many other things. It’s 5 times strong than steel, but quite light. It’s no wonder Focal turned to this material to use as woofer cones for their K2 Power line of speakers. Sandwiched between to ultra-thin layers of glass fiber, the Kevlar woofers are extremely musically accurate and a joy to listen to. To help minimize distortion, Tuned Mass Damper (TMD®) rubber surrounds are used to keep the woofers firing cleanly and accurately. Lastly, you may have noticed that aluminum bullet-shaped phase plug planted in the middle of each woofer. They’re not just pretty, they serve a purpose: they help the woofer reproduce as clean of a sound as possible as they help reduce frequency response issues.
“M”-Shaped Woven Aramid Fiber Tweeters
The 13/16” tweeters found in the ES 165 K2 are just as unique as the woofers: they are a testament to Focal’s sound engineers unwilling to compromise on their quest to achieve perfection. The tweeters reproduce high-frequency response with stunning clarity without sounding “harsh” thanks to the woven aramid fiber design. The sound is less directional than tweeters from other manufacturers thanks to the “M”-shaped inverted dome tweeter that Focal employs that is capable of wider dispersion.
Allow Us to Suggest…
To properly power these speakers (assuming you are using just a pair of ES 165 K2 speakers in your setup), we would recommend a 2-channel amplifier that is stable at 2 ohms. Ideally, the power output of this amplifier at 2 ohms would fall around 100 watts per channel.
The next thing we would suggest is to use a Dynamat Xtreme door kit to provide sound insulation. In doing so, you’ll receive better mid-bass performance as well as help reduce incoming road noise through your vehicle’s thin metal doors so you can better hear your new speakers. There is enough Dynamat Xtreme material in this kit to provide sound insulation for a pair of doors.
- Diameter: 6-1/2" (165mm)
- Voice Coil Diameter: 1-1/4" (32mm)
- Voice Coil Height: 9/16" (15mm)
- Motor: Magnet
- Tweeter: TKM ("M" profile aramid fiber inverted dome)
- Cone: Composite K2 Power "W" sandwich cone
- Surround: Tuned Mass Damper (TMD)
- Separated Crossover: 6-12/12dB (3.5kHz)
- Tweeter Adjustable Level: +3; 0; -3dB/oct.
- Max Power: 200W
- Nominal Power: 100W
- Sensitivity (2.83/1m): 92.8dB
- Frequency Response: 60Hz - 22kHz
- Impedance: 2 ohms
- Grilles: supplied grilles
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- One pair of woofers
- One pair of tweeters
- One pair of crossovers
- One pair of woofer grilles w/ mounting rings
- 2 woofer gaskets
- 2 tweeter flush mount cups
- 2 tweeter surface mount cups
- Mounting hardware
- Owner's manual