Our take on the Yamaha RX-S601
Control all of your MusicCast devices as you watch your favorite flicks, using Yamaha's RX-S601 Slimline AV Network Receiver. Updated with the latest technology for 4K pass-through and MusicCast multiroom support, this device is designed for movie nights and personal concerts. It also features built-in WiFi, AirPlay, and support for Spotify and Pandora, so the music can keep playing through each compatible room.
Slim and compact 5.1-channel network AV receiver offers Bluetooth and built-in Wi-Fi compatibility. Advanced features include high-resolution audio playback support and 4K Ultra HD pass-through with HDCP 2.2. Now with MusicCast, this device can be expanded to deliver wireless multiroom audio playback, all controlled by a simple app.
Yamaha RX-S601 Wireless Network Receiver Highlights:
- MusicCast wireless multiroom audio support
- Bluetooth for wireless music streaming and Compressed Music Enhancer
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct
- AirPlay, Spotify, Pandora music streaming service and AV Controller App
- DSD 2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz, FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit, Apple Lossless 96 kHz / 24-bit playback
- Front panel USB connection for digital docking with iPod / iPhone and USB flash drives
- 4K Ultra HD pass-through with HDCP 2.2 support
- YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
- 1-channel powerful surround sound
- Zone 2 audio with Party Mode
Yamaha RX-S601 Wireless Network Receiver Features:
Bluetooth Compatible for Wireless Music Streaming
- This AV receiver is equipped with Bluetooth functionality to let you enjoy easy wireless music playback from smartphones and other devices. Yamaha Compressed Music Enhancer is now optimized for Bluetooth audio transmission to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality even during wireless playback.
Bluetooth Compatible for Wireless Music Streaming
- The RX-S601 is equipped with the latest Bluetooth technology, making wireless operation more convenient than ever. You can stream music from the RX-S601 to Bluetooth headphones for private listening or to Bluetooth speakers.
- MusicCast makes it easy to bring music to every room in your home wirelessly with playback controlled by a simple app. Start with a MusicCast capable AV receiver in your main entertainment room for the ultimate home theater experience, then add MusicCast speakers, sound bars or Hi-Fi components in other rooms wirelessly.
All Your Content
- MusicCast allows you to access your digital music library, streaming music services and Internet radio, as well as Bluetooth sources, your TV sound and external sources attached to your AV receiver, such as a Blu-ray Disc or CD player.
Slim and Compact Design
- The RX-S601 is only 4-3/8” high and 12-7/8” deep. It will fit nicely in narrow AV racks without jutting out from the front. This makes it easy to place your system where you want it and gives it a neat appearance.
4K Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2
- This unit supports the latest HDMI standards thanks to the transmission of 4K video at 60 frames per second (pass-through only). Fully enjoy the high definition video quality of 4K without degradation along with HDCP 2.2 that fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission.
HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel
- The RX-S601 supports 3D video signals. Additionally, the Audio Return Channel function enables audio to be sent and received via the same HDMI cable, so you can hear the sound from the TV via a single HDMI cable.
HDMI CEC for Easy Operation
- Another benefit of HDMI is the availability of CEC functionality. When the unit is connected to a CEC compatible TV, the receiver will turn on and off together with the TV and you can use the TV remote to control the volume. CEC also provides advanced functionality with other components. For example, you can use the receiver’s remote control to command source players with functions like skip, play and pause.
- This AV receiver provides a variety of network functions that enable you to access more sources and also enhance operation. You can connect the AV receiver to a Mac or PC with WebBrowser Control and have two way control of Internet radio, Pandora and Spotify. The AV Controller App (from iTunes or Google Play) lets you control various functions from your iPod, iPhone, iPad or Android phones / tablets.
Built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for a wireless connection with your wireless router, greatly simplifying system connections for enjoying networked audio (PC / NAS) and music streaming services. If a Wi-Fi router is not available, the unique Wireless Direct feature not only allows you to stream music directly from your smartphone or tablet via the AV Controller App, AirPlay, etc., but also allows for control of the AV receiver as well.
AirPlay Allows Streaming Music to AV Receivers
- This AV receiver supports AirPlay, which means they can accept wireless music streaming from iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, as well as from iTunes on a Mac or PC. This makes it easy to enjoy music from your mobile devices or computer at your home theater system. You can view metadata such as song title and artist name as well as album art inside the receiver's on-screen display.
Excellent Sound and Many Advanced Features in a Compact Body
- Audio performance at the head of its class, thanks to a revamped ground and power supply pattern as well as meticulously selected and custom designed parts, such as the transformer and heat sink. Features analog discrete amplifier construction, a low jitter PLL circuit and high power output. Other top-grade features include an aluminum front panel and large screw-type speaker terminals.
Stream Millions of Songs with Spotify Connect
- With the Spotify app on your smartphone, you have instant access to millions of songs. Now you can stream those songs to your networked Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect. Just hit play to start streaming music. When you listen to Spotify outside on your smartphone or tablet and come inside, the song immediately streams to your Yamaha AV receiver allowing no interruption to your music playback. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music on Spotify.
Extensive Audio Codec and Format Support
- This AV receiver is compatible with many audio formats such as Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. It is also compatible with high-resolution audio codecs such as DSD / AIFF / FLAC / WAV / Apple Lossless. You will enjoy the excellent sound quality of these various high-resolution audio codecs from the USB input on the front panel or from network connected devices.
AV Controller App for Easy, Convenient Operation
- This AV receiver lets you use the Yamaha AV Controller App that is downloadable from iTunes, Google Play or the Amazon Appstore to control the power, volume, input selections, DSP modes and much, much more from an iPhone or Android device. You can also use as many as 23 different languages and customize the interface by hiding unused icons and renaming functions. A tablet version is also available.
DSP Parameter Adjustment for Easy and Detailed Setting
- This AV receiver is equipped with a variety of sound programs that utilize original DSP technologies from Yamaha. These sound programs allow you to easily create sound fields like actual movie theaters or concert halls in your room to enjoy natural stereoscopic sound fields. It is now possible to use the AV Controller App to adjust the DSP parameters in a basic or advanced mode to match the mood of your favorite movie or music album.
USB Digital Connection for iPod and iPhone on the Front Panel
- A USB port on the front panel allows convenient connection of an iPod and iPhone, which also charges the iOS device when connected. Because the digital signal from the iPod and iPhone is transmitted directly to the AV receiver, there is no signal-loss or interference. You get to enjoy the best possible sound quality. In addition, you can use the AV receiver’s remote control unit to operate the iPod and iPhone for basic playback control.
Compressed Music Enhancer
- When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. The Compressed Music Enhancer from Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing using exclusive algorithms to restore what was lost, so the music always sounds the way it should.
Gapless Playback Compatibility Allows Play without Interruption
- Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. *Compatible with WAV, FLAC and ALAC file formats and input from USB / PC / NAS.
YPAO Sound Optimization for Automatic Speaker Setup
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer) analyses the room's acoustics and measures various speaker characteristics, then calibrates the audio parameters to achieve optimum sound.
Virtual CINEMA FRONT Provides Virtual 5-channel Surround Sound with High Quality and Resolution
- The Virtual CINEMA FRONT feature allows for more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room. Simply place the surround speakers in the front of the listening area to enjoy a virtual 5-channel surround sound with superior rear virtual sound localization.
Extra Bass Provides Rich Bass Reproduction, Even with Small Speakers
- This exclusive low-range enhancement technology delivers richer bass than you would expect from the speaker size while maintaining good localization and sound balance even with compact front speakers. When a subwoofer is used, it improves the volume of the entire low range of the speaker system, not only the front speakers, but also enhancing the bass from the subwoofer. You'll enjoy video and music with sound that has exceptional power and presence.
Total Purity Concept for the Finest Sound Quality
- The Total Purity Concept, which Yamaha has been cultivating for many years, encompasses high drive amp technology, high purity preamplification, anti-vibration technology and independent pure power supplies. All models have fully discrete power amplifiers that help minimize distortion. They also adopt pure independent power supplies, allowing dedicated power supplies for the analog and digital circuitry to prevent digital noise from affecting analog circuitry. The anti-vibration heat sinks are designed to suppress vibration from transistors and sound pressure. Independent power supplies for the DACs are designed to further eliminate noise on certain models. Down to every detail, these AV receivers are designed with full emphasis on the highest possible sound quality.
SCENE for One-touch Start
- Pressing a SCENE button powers on the AV receiver and selects the input source and DSP mode. You can reset the buttons for different sources by selecting a source and DSP mode, then pressing a SCENE button for more than three seconds.
HD Audio with CINEMA DSP 3D and Virtual Presence Speaker
- CINEMA DSP 3D provides a wide, high and dense sound field. HD Audio format decoding lets you enjoy HD Audio sources. Virtual Presence Speaker delivers three-dimensional sound without the actual use of presence speakers.
Subwoofer Trim for Improved Sound Imaging
- The Subwoofer Trim Control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused soundstage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is “pushed” toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim Control takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
- Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialogue, vocals and sound effects at a comfortable level. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening, when you do not want to disturb others.
Selectable Auto Power Standby
- Auto Power Standby lets you save energy by automatically turning off the AV receiver's power after 20 minutes, two, four, eight or 12 hours.
ECO Mode Lowers Power Consumption by 20%*
- When ECO mode is turned on it can reduce power consumption by about 20 percent.
Yamaha RX-S601 Wireless Network Receiver Specifications:
- Channel: 5.1
- Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven): 95 W (6 ohms, 0.9% THD)
- Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven): 60 W (6 ohms, 0.09% THD)
- Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms): 90 / 110 / 140 / 160 W
Surround Sound Processing
- CINEMA DSP: Yes (3D)
- DSP Programs: 17
- Virtual Presence Speaker: Yes
- SILENT CINEMA / Virtual CINEMA DSP: Yes (Virtual CINEMA FRONT)
- Dolby TrueHD: Yes
- Dolby Digital Plus: Yes
- DTS-HD Master Audio: Yes
- Compressed Music Enhancer: Yes (including for Bluetooth)
- YPAO sound optimization: Yes
- Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control): Yes
- Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting: Yes
- Audio Delay: Yes (0-500 ms)
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels: Yes (Burr-Brown)
- 4K Ultra HD pass-through: Yes
- HDMI 3D pass-through: Yes
- HDMI Audio Return Channel: Yes
- Deep Color/x.v.Color/24Hz Refresh Rate /Auto Lip-Sync: Yes
- HDMI Input/Output: 6 in / 1 out (HDCP 2.2: 1 in / 1 out)
- HDMI CEC: Yes (SCENE, device control)
- USB Input: iPod / iPhone, USB memory, portable audio player
- Network Port: Yes
- Front AV Input: USB / mini-jack
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Optical: 1 / 0
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Coaxial: 2 / 0
- Analog Audio Input/Output: 4 (front 1) / 0
- Composite Video Input/Output: 3 / 1
- Preout: Subwoofer
- Headphone Output: 1
- MusicCast: Yes
- Wi-Fi: Yes (with Wireless Direct)
- AirPlay: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes (AAC)
- FM/AM Tuner: Yes
- On-screen display: Yes (color OSD)
- SCENE: SCENE (4 sets)
- App Control: Yes (iPhone / iPad / Android smartphone / tablet)
- Remote Control Unit: Yes
- Powered Zone: Choice of Zone 2 or Surround Speakers
- Standby Power Consumption (IR only): ≤0.1 W
- Auto Power Standby: Yes
- ECO mode: Yes
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8” x 4-3/8” x 12-7/8” (with antenna up: 17-1/8” x 6-7/8” x 12-7/8)
- Weight: 17.2 lbs.