Your Home Theater Control Center
With quality construction, high power and full flexibility, the RX-A860 receiver combines today’s must have features in one elegant and easy to use package that can serve as the control center of any top-quality home theater system; only Yamaha Aventage receivers can bring this level of performance and versatility.
- AVENTAGE craftsmanship, engineering and design
- Aluminum front panel and Anti Resonance Technology (A.R.T.) Wedge
- 4K Ultra HD video upscaling with support for ultra high definition tech
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround sound processing
- Bluetooth, built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct for wireless music streaming
- AirPlay, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, Sirius XM and Internet Radio
- AV Controller app and AV Controller app
- MusicCast wireless multiroom audio compatible
- Dimensions: 17-1/8” wide x 6-3/4”
high x 15” deep
- Weight: 23.2 pounds
- Warranty: Three years parts and labor
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
AVENTAGE Sets the New Receiver Standard
For today’s multitude of sources and extensive collections of online videos, movies, music and streaming services, Yamaha has crafted its high-end Aventage series of Network Audio-Video Receivers. The mid-line RX-A860 offers a solid balance of value and performance, delivering true fidelity through finer speaker systems and video screens. With quality construction, high power and full flexibility, the RX-A860 combines today’s top features in one elegant and easy to use package, to serve as the control center of any top-quality home theater system as only Yamaha Aventage receivers can.
Alone among top equipment manufacturers, Yamaha is a music company as well. Its pianos, percussion, guitars and violins, brass and woodwinds are treasured worldwide, and its audio line is designed with that same exacting eye and ear. And Yamaha’s Aventage line of network AV receivers is the most technologically advanced expression of that dedication. (You can compare the six models in the Aventage receiver line here)
Inputs and Outputs Galore
Even before you plug in the RX-A860, the exterior shows how special this receiver is. On the back panel you’ll find seven HDMI inputs (an eighth is on the front) and two HDMI outputs, enough for cable, satellite, game system, Blu-ray and more, plus a full array of audio, phono (for vinyl), digital and analog inputs and outputs. The RX-A860 is made to process ultra high definition 4K video signals with increased color depth and contrast, and “upsampling” of standard HD signals to near-4K quality. And where most receivers have four feet on the bottom, Yamaha adds a fifth, anti-resonance foot in the center, to dampen vibrations from inside, and to isolate the circuits from outside disturbance.
Thoughtful Circuit Design
That attention to detail continues with the interior electrical design. A large transformer drives separate power supplies for the digital and analog circuitry, and the power transistors are mounted on anti-resonance heat sinks. The digital-to-analog processors and other integrated chips all sourced from top manufacturers and tuned for maximum performance. Yamaha is so confident in its Aventage line, every receiver comes with a three-year parts and labor warranty.
Speakers All Around!
The RX-A860 is a 7.2-channel system – seven amplified channels and connections for subwoofers front and back. The amps pump out a true 100 watts per channel to drive today’s demanding speakers. You can arrange those speakers in multiple configurations to suit your preference – in front, at the sides, in back or above your head, or use what Yamaha refers to as two additional “presence” speakers in the front for a deeper, wider soundstage. Audiophiles can choose to “bi-amp” the main pair, powering the lows and midrange/highs separately to tweak sound quality even further. Or you can set up and control a second remote speaker zone elsewhere in your home.
Surround Sound Plus
The RX-A860 handles all surround-sound formats, including the latest Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, to locate the action around or above you. To that, the receiver adds Yamaha’s Parametric Acoustic Optimizer with Reflected Sound Control, a room-equalization system. During setup, you move an included microphone to multiple points around the room, and YPAO-R.S.C. takes measurements to adjust frequency response, time delay and channel levels to make the most of your speakers, configuration and room acoustics.
Cinema DSP 3D
Yamaha is a pioneer in the creation of virtual audio spaces through what it calls Digital Soundfield Processing. The company takes detailed measurements in real venues – from movie theaters to arenas – and programs the data right into its microprocessors. Yamaha’s Cinema DSP 3D offers pinpoint location of sound effects and transforms your listening room into any number of locations. You can combine specific sources with specific DSP settings and save them in programmable, convenient one-touch Scene buttons. And if you haven’t yet added surround speakers, Cinema DSP will use what you’ve got to create a virtual surround sound field with extra presence and depth.
MusicCast Your Home
With Yamaha’s MusicCast system, the RX-A860 uses built-in WiFi and your home network to wirelessly distribute sound throughout your home. Stream music from your own personal library, from subscription services including Spotify, Pandora, Sirius XM, Rhapsody, Napster and Internet radio, or from pads and phones, using Apple’s iTunes and AirPlay, among other sources. And more than a receiver-based setup, Yamaha’s MusicCast is an ecosystem of sound that covers an entire line of wireless speakers, soundbars and other products. All are controlled through the convenient MusicCast app for iOS and Android.
Bluetooth In and Out
MusicCast isn’t the only way to unplug your music. Top quality Bluetooth, with Compressed Music Enhancer built into, lets you stream from your mobile device to the RX-A860 without sacrificing sound quality. And, in a rare feature in AV receivers, Yamaha offers not only Bluetooth input but also output, so you can send the sound back to Bluetooth headphones for private listening, or to Bluetooth speakers for portable convenience.
Control at Your Fingertips
Every Aventage receiver comes with a comprehensive remote control, but you may never use it. Instead, you’ll likely use your phone or tablet and Yamaha’s AV Controller app, which offers an intuitive and personalized way to access all of Aventage’s advanced capabilities. All Yamaha networked devices are automatically detected, and setup is a snap. Choose your input, music, scene or stream, your zone and your speakers. Control and customize your sound and soundfield. Even operate a compatible Yamaha Blu-ray player with the app, a free download from Apple’s App Store and Google Play.
Need More? Just Listen
The RX-A860’s flexibility and convenience are evident, but the real test is the sound. No matter the source, no matter the speakers, the RX-A860 delivers crystal clarity, from solid lows to silky highs. As the audio axiom goes, it seems like a veil has been lifted; through any of Yamaha’s Aventage receivers, nothing stands between you and the sound.
Pairs well with: A wide range of home-theater speaker systems, including one of our favorites, the Klipsch 5.1 RP-260 Reference Premiere package, or the individual speakers therein.
- Channels 7.2
- Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 110 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
- Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 100 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
- Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 160 W (8 ohms, 10% THD)
- Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 130 / 170 / 195 / 240 W
Surround Sound Processing
- CINEMA DSP Yes (3D)
- DSP Programs 17
- Dialog Level Adjustment Yes
- Virtual Presence Speaker Yes
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker Yes
- Dialogue Lift Yes (no presence speakers required)
- SILENT CINEMA / Virtual CINEMA DSP Yes (Virtual CINEMA FRONT)
- Dolby Atmos Yes
- Dolby TrueHD Yes
- Dolby Digital Plus Yes
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx Yes
- DTS-HD Master Audio Yes
- Pure Direct Yes (with video on mode)
- Compressed Music Enhancer Yes (incl. enhancer for Bluetooth)
- YPAO multi-point measurement Yes (R.S.C)
- YPAO Volume Yes
- Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) Yes
- Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting Yes
- A.R.T. Wedge Yes
- Bi-amp capability Yes
- Audio Delay Yes (0-500 ms)
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels Yes (Burr-Brown)
- 4K Ultra HD Pass-through and upscaling Yes (4K/60p, 4:4:4)
- HDMI 3D pass-through Yes
- HDMI Audio Return Channel Yes
- HDMI upscaling Yes (Analog to HDMI / HDMI to HDMI)
- Deep Color/x.v.Color/24Hz Refresh Rate /Auto Lip-Sync Yes
- HDMI Input/Output 8 (HDMI1,2,3:HDCP2.2 compatible) / 2 (HDCP2.2 compatible)
- HDMI CEC Yes (SCENE, Device Control)
- USB Input USB Memory, Portable Audio Player
- Network Port Yes
- Front AV Input HDMI / USB / Analog Audio / Composite
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Optical 2 / 0
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Coaxial 2 / 0
- Analog Audio Input/Output 6 (front 1) / 0
- Phono Input Yes
- Component Video Input/Output 2 / 1
- Composite Video Input/Output 5 (front 1) / 1
- Preout 7.2-ch
- Headphone Output 1
- Wi-Fi Yes (with Wireless Direct)
- AirPlay Yes
- Bluetooth Yes (SBC / AAC)
- FM/AM Tuner Yes
- On-screen display Graphical User Inter face
- SCENE SCENE (4 sets)
- App Control Yes (iPhone / iPad / Android phone / tablet)
- Web Browser Control Yes
- Remote Control Unit Yes
- Zone 2 Audio Output Line output
- Powered Zone Zone 2
- Zone B Output Yes (HDMI)
- RS-232C Interface Yes
- +12V Trigger Output 1
- Remote (IR) Input/Output 1 / 1
- Standby Power Consumption (IR only) ≤0.1W
- Auto Power Standby Yes
- ECO mode Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 17-1/8” x 6-3/4” x 15”
- 17-1/8” x 9-1/4” x 15”(with antenna up)
- Weight 23.2 lbs.