The RX-A660 Brings Cutting Edge Audio Tech to the Yamaha AVENTAGE Lineup
How can a legendary audio company like Yamaha improve on it's vaunted receiver lineup? Put the music first and you might wind up with a high performance audio beast like the Yamaha RX-A660 AVENTAGE 7.2 Channel Netowrk A/V receiver. With a future proofed design that can handle the latest and greatest ultra HD 4K video signals and brings Dolby Atmos sound quality into your living room, it's safe to say the RX-A660 is every home theater enthusiast's dream centerpiece.
- AVENTAGE craftsmanship, designed to deliver the highest levels of audio performance
- Aluminum front panel and Anti Resonance Technology (A.R.T.) Wedge
- Discrete amplifier configuration
- 4K Ultra HD video pass-through
- Support for modern technological standards (HDCP 2.2, HDR and BT.2020)
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround sound processing (5.1.2-ch)
- Bluetooth, built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct for wireless music streaming
- AirPlay, Pandora, Spotify, and Internet Radio
- AV Controller app
- MusicCast wireless multiroom audio compatible
- Support for high-resolution audio files including DSD, FLAC, WAV and AIFF (up to 192 kHz / 24-bit)
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker for playing 7.1-channel content with a 5.1-channel system
- YPAO sound optimization
- Power output: 80 watts per channel continuous, 20-20kHz, two channels driven
- Dimensions: 17-1/8” wide x 6-3/8” high x 12-7/8” deep
- Weight: 17.9 pounds
- Warranty: Three years parts and labor
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
The AVENTAGE Advantage
Yamaha has crafted its high-end Aventage series of Network Audio-Video Receivers to handle today’s demanding digital sources and extensive collections of online videos, movies, music and streaming services. And even the entry level of the line, the RX-A660, delivers real value without sacrificing performance. With quality construction, power and flexibility, the RX-A660 combines all your must-have features in one elegant and easy to use package for today’s home theaters.
Alone among top equipment manufacturers, Yamaha is a music company as well. Its pianos, percussion, guitars and violins, brass and woodwinds are treasured worldwide, and its audio line is designed with that same exacting eye and ear. And the entire Yamaha Aventage line of network AV receivers is the most technologically advanced expression of that dedication. (You can compare the six models in the Aventage receiver line here.)
Attention to detail is evident inside and outside the RX-A660. Four HDMI inputs will handle your cable, satellite, game system and Blu-ray player, along with a full array of audio, digital and analog connections. The RX-A660 is designed to handle the latest ultra high definition 4K video signals, with increased color depth and contrast. An aluminum front panel shields the receiver from outside interference. And where most receivers have four feet on the bottom, Yamaha adds a fifth, anti-resonance foot in the center, to dampen vibrations from inside, and to isolate the circuits from outside disturbance.
That attention to detail continues with the interior electrical design. A large transformer drive separates power supplies for the digital and analog circuitry, and the power transistors are mounted on anti-resonance heat sinks. The digital-to-analog processors and other integrated chips all sourced from top, and tuned for maximum performance. Yamaha is so confident in its Aventage line, every receiver comes with a three-year parts and labor warranty.
Endless Speaker Choices
The RX-A660 is a 7.2-channel system – seven amplified channels and connections for subwoofers front and back. The amps pump out 80 clean watts per channel to drive today’s better speakers. You can arrange those speakers in multiple configurations– in front, at the sides, in back or above your head. Videophiles can add what Yamaha refers to as two additional “presence” speakers in front for a deeper, wider soundstage. Audiophiles can choose to “bi-amp” the main speakers, powering the lows and midrange/highs separately, to tweak sound quality even further. Or you can dedicate a pair of speakers to a remote zone elsewhere in your home - only the Yamaha Aventage lineup brings this level of versatility!
Surround Sound and DSP
The RX-A660 handles all surround-sound formats, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, for effects all around and overhead. To that, the receiver adds two exclusives. Yamaha’s Parametric Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO), an equalization system, automatically adjusts for your listening room; and the company’s trademark Digital Soundfield Processing has measurements taken in real venues – from movie theaters to arenas – programmed right into the chips. Cinema DSP 3D offers pinpoint location of sound effects, and transforms your room into any number of locations. You can combine specific sources with customized DSP modes and save them in programmable, convenient Scene buttons. And if you haven’t yet added surround speakers, Cinema DSP will use what you’ve got to create a virtual surround sound field with presence and depth.
MusicCast Your Whole House
Yamaha’s MusicCast system uses the receiver’s built-in WiFi and your home network to wirelessly distribute sound throughout your home. Stream music from your personal library, from subscription services including Spotify, Pandora, Sirius XM, Rhapsody, Napster and Internet radio, or from pads and phones, using iTunes and AirPlay, among other sources. Yamaha’s MusicCast is actually a product ecosystem that covers an entire line of wireless speakers, soundbars and other products. All communicate with one another, and all are controlled through one convenient app for iOS and Android.
Bluetooth In and Out
MusicCast isn’t the only way to unplug your music. Bluetooth circuitry built into the RX-A660, with Compressed Music Enhancer, lets you stream from mobile devices or computers without sacrificing sound quality. And, in a feature rarely found in AV receivers, Yamaha also offers Bluetooth output, so you can send the signal back to Bluetooth headphones for private listening or Bluetooth speakers for portable convenience.
Control at Your Fingertips
The RX-A660 comes with a comprehensive remote control, but you may never pick it up. Instead, you’ll likely use your phone or tablet and Yamaha’s AV Controller app, which offers an intuitive and personalized way to access all of Aventage’s advanced capabilities. All Yamaha networked devices are automatically detected, and setup is a snap. Choose your input, music, scene or stream, zone and speakers. Control and customize your sound. Even operate a compatible Yamaha Blu-ray player with the app, a free download from Apple’s App Store and Google Play.
Audio Performance You Can Feel
Even the baby of the Yamaha Aventage line shows its heritage. No matter the source, no matter the speakers, the RX-A660 delivers smooth, natural sound, with solid lows and silky highs. As the audio axiom goes, it seems like a veil has been lifted; through any of Yamaha’s Aventage receivers, nothing stands between you and the sound.
Pairs well with: A wide range of surround systems, including our compact but mighty Klipsch Reference 5.1 Channel 15M package.
- Channel 7.2
- Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 115 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
- Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 80 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
- Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 145 W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
- Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 120 / 140 / 170 / 190 W
Surround Sound Processing
- CINEMA DSP Yes (3D)
- DSP Programs 17
- Dialog Level Adjustment Yes
- Virtual Presence Speaker Yes
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker Yes
- Dialogue Lift Yes
- SILENT CINEMA / Virtual CINEMA DSP Yes (Virtual CINEMA FRONT)
- Dolby Atmos Yes
- Dolby TrueHD Yes
- Dolby Digital Plus Yes
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx Yes
- DTS:X Yes
- DTS-HD Master Audio Yes
- Compressed Music Enhancer Yes (incl. enhancer for Bluetooth)
- YPAO sound optimization Yes
- Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) Yes
- Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting Yes
- A.R.T. Wedge Yes
- Bi-amp capability Yes
- Audio Delay Yes (0-500 ms)
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels Yes (Burr-Brown)
- 4K Ultra HD pass-through Yes (4K/60p, 4:4:4)
- HDMI 3D pass-through Yes
- HDMI Audio Return Channel Yes
- Deep Color/x.v.Color/24Hz Refresh Rate /Auto Lip-SyncYes
- HDMI Input/Output 4 / 1 (HDCP2.2, HDR and BT.2020 compatible)
- HDMI CEC Yes
- USB Input USB Memory, Portable Audio Player
- Network Port Yes
- Front AV Input USB / Mini Jack
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Optical 1 / 0
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Coaxial 2 / 0
- Analog Audio Input/Output 4 (front 1) / 0
- Composite Video Input/Output 4 / 1
- Wi-Fi Yes (with Wireless Direct)
- AirPlay Yes
- Bluetooth Yes (SBC / AAC)
- Subwoofer (2 x mono)
- Headphone Output 1
- FM/AM Tuner Yes
- On-screen display Yes (color OSD)
- SCENE (4 sets)
- App Control Yes (iPhone / iPad / Android phone / tablet)
- Remote Control Unit Yes
- Zone B Output Yes
- Standby Power Consumption (IR only) ≤0.1W
- Auto Power Standby Yes
- ECO mode Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 17-1/8” x 6-3/8” x 12-7/8”
- 17-1/8” x 8-3/4” x 12-7/8” (with antenna)
- Weight 17.9 lbs.