Yamaha CX-A5100 AVENTAGE Series 11.2-Channel AV Pre-amplifier
Absolute quality for when the very best is your option. With years of expertise in designing audio / video receivers and preamplifier processors, Yamaha has gone a step further with its highest offering in the AVENTAGE lineup. Meet the CX-A5100 preamp processor, built from the ground up to be a powerhouse for the most demanding of home theater enthusiasts. Experience three-dimensional surround sound formats with the next generation in audio / video technologies like never before. Tap into advanced Yamaha digital signal processing with CINEMA DSP HD3, utilize the best built-in functions for customization and enjoy the latest home theater technologies that are offered today. Now with MusicCast, this device can be expanded to deliver wireless multiroom audio playback, all controlled by a simple app.
Yamaha CX-A5100 AVENTAGE Series AV Pre-amplifier Highlights:
- AVENTAGE build standards designed to deliver the highest level of audio performance
- Aluminum front panel, H-shape cross member frame and rigid bottom frame
- 11.2-channel preamplifier with balanced XLR outputs (including subwoofer outputs)
- MusicCast wireless multiroom audio support
- Bluetooth and built-in Wi-Fi for wireless music streaming
- AirPlay, Spotify, Pandora music streaming service and AV Controller App
- DSD 2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz, FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit, Apple Lossless 96 kHz / 24-bit playback
- YPAO - R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support (up to 7.1.4-ch)
- CINEMA DSP HD3 expands the sound field vertically for more thrilling and realistic surround sound
- Professional digital-to-analog conversion (ESS SABRE Ultra DAC ES9016S) for all channels
- Advanced HDMI zone switching allows unprecedented AV switching to multiple zones
- HDMI 2.0a: 4K Ultra HD video upscaling with HDCP 2.2 and high dynamic range (HDR) support
Yamaha CX-A5100 AVENTAGE Series AV Pre-amplifier Features:
AVENTAGE AV Receivers: Designed to Deliver the Highest Levels of Audio Performance
- The AVENTAGE line of high-performance AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials and parts to construction, layout, vibration damping (unique foot) and “fine-tuning” the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every AVENTAGE model has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
Noise Resistant, Highly Reliable Balanced Connections and High Quality XLR Terminals for Long Subwoofer Cables
- Electrical noise may be generated from connections with other AV components, including the connections between them as well as from external noise sources. To ensure that the CX-A5100 is not affected by this distortion, it uses balanced connections that are highly noise resistant t the same type generally used in pro audio equipment. Even the unbalanced RCA connection uses a ground-sensing transmission method that achieves a simple and balanced transmission. When each channel is used independently, the impact of noise flowing between the preamp and power-amp is removed, minimizing sound quality deterioration due to the connection. XLR terminals allow for the use of long cables that may be needed to connect a subwoofer. The CX-A5100 also has a balanced audio input connection to high-grade source components such as CD players.
Sound Tuning Achieved with High Quality Parts for Optimum Performance
- Every single part in an AV receiver affects the sound quality. For AVENTAGE models, extra time is taken to find (or develop) the exact parts needed to achieve the highest performance possible. Sound technicians go through a testing process to, in effect, “tune” the receiver’s sound.
High Density Presence and Richly Detailed Sound Ensured by High Quality Parts and Design
- All channels use ultra-high performance ESS ES9016 DACs, which provide 192 kHz / 32-bit processing with a superior SN ratio and high dynamic range, ensuring faithful reproduction from Blu-ray Discs and other players, as well as from high-resolution source inputs over the network. Matched to the design of the DAC circuitry, which achieves stable ground potential (DAC on Pure Ground), they provide high-precision D/A conversion. A new Volume IC realizes low noise and superior sound orientation and a superior low-jitter clock circuit is used for clear and vivid network audio. In addition, the internal design separates the power supplies to the analog circuit boards, eliminating high frequency noise interference from the digital circuitry. The shielded power supplies restrict noise radiation and the large power transformer minimizes vibration.
Specially Designed High Rigidity Chassis Eliminates the Effects of Vibration for Greater Sound Purity
- As part of this preamp processors no compromise design, Yamaha created an advanced chassis with strong rigidity. Chassis stiffness is enhanced by a three-ply structure that incorporates an independent top cover, aluminum side panels and an H-shaped cross frame. The ART (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge in the center of the bottom cover acts as an additional vibration countermeasure for the internal circuits and delicate parts.
Aluminum Front Panel Offers Visual and Aural Benefits
- All of the AVENTAGE components feature the same sleek, clean design, with an elegant aluminum front panel and silky touch volume/selector knobs. The aluminum front panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic radiation generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments.
- MusicCast makes it easy to bring music to every room in your home wirelessly with playback controlled by a simple app. Start with a MusicCast capable AV receiver in your main entertainment room for the ultimate home theater experience, then add MusicCast speakers, sound bars or Hi-Fi components in other rooms wirelessly.
All Your Content
- MusicCast allows you to access your digital music library, streaming music services and Internet radio, as well as Bluetooth sources, your TV sound and external sources attached to your AV receiver, such as a Blu-ray disc player or CD player.
Bluetooth Compatible for Wireless Music Streaming
- The CX-A5100 is equipped with Bluetooth functionality to let you easily enjoy wireless music playback from smartphones and other devices. The Compressed Music Enhancer from Yamaha is now optimized for Bluetooth audio transmissions to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
- Wireless operation more convenient than ever. The CX-A5100 is equipped with the latest Bluetooth technology to stream music to Bluetooth speakers for added audio coverage or to Bluetooth headphones for private listening.
Full Support of HDMI 2.0a Spec: 4K Ultra HD Video Upconversion, HDCP 2.2 and High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- This unit supports the latest HDMI standards thanks to the transmission of 4K video at 60 frames per second (pass-through and video upscaling). Fully enjoy the high definition video quality of 4K without degradation along with HDCP 2.2 that fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission. It also supports HDR* video which provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image.
- *A future firmware update will be required to enable HDR.
Yamaha Video Processing
- With expertise in engineering exceptional video projectors, Yamaha has produced various advanced processing techniques that are applied to this AV receiver’s video upscaling capabilities. These include edge adaptive deinterlacing to smooth out jaggy noise, motion adaptive deinterlacing to detect moving or still images and multi-cadence detection that includes 3-2 pull-down.
Advanced HDMI Zone Switching Allows Unprecedented AV Switching to Multiple Zones
- While standard HDMI zone switching can only send HD video programs to the main and second zones, advanced HDMI zone switching from Yamaha adds the capability to choose from all audio and video sources for playback in Zone 2*. An on-screen graphical user interface makes it easy to browse and select content to enjoy from the second zone no matter what is being played in the Main Zone.
- *The second HDMI output can be assigned to Zone 4 as well (HDMI inputs only).
- This AV receiver provides a variety of network functions that enable you to access more sources and also enhance operation. You can connect the AV receiver to a Mac or PC with WebBrowser Control and have two way control of Internet radio, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify or SiriusXM Internet Radio. The AV Controller App (from iTunes or Google Play) lets you control various functions from your iPod, iPhone, iPad or Android phones / tablets.
Built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for a wireless connection with your wireless router, greatly simplifying system connections for enjoying networked audio (PC / NAS) and music streaming services. If a Wi-Fi router is not available, the unique Wireless Direct feature not only allows you to stream music directly from your smartphone or tablet via the AV Controller App, AirPlay etc., but also allows for control of the AV receiver as well.
AirPlay Allows Streaming Music to AV receivers
- This AV receiver supports AirPlay, which means they can accept wireless music streaming from iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, as well as from iTunes on a Mac or PC. This makes it easy to enjoy music from your mobile devices or computer at your home theater system. You can view metadata such as song title, artist name as well as album art inside the receiver's on-screen display.
Stream Millions of Songs with Spotify Connect
- With the Spotify app on your smartphone, you have instant access to millions of songs. Now you can stream those songs to your networked Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect. Just hit play to start streaming music. When you listen to Spotify outside on your smartphone or tablet and come inside, the song immediately streams to your Yamaha AV receiver allowing no interruption to your music playback. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music on Spotify.
Compressed Music Enhancer
- When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. The Compressed Music Enhancer from Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing using exclusive algorithms to restore what was lost, so the music always sounds the way it should.
High-resolution Music Enhancer Further Heightens Musicality from the Original Content
- The Compressed Music Enhancer in this model has the capability to process and restore compressed music (up to 96 kHz / 24-bit) further heightening the musicality of the original content.
AV Controller App for Easy, Convenient Operation
- This AV preamplifier lets you use the Yamaha AV Controller App that is downloadable from iTunes, Google Play or the Amazon Appstore to control the power, volume, input selections, DSP modes and much, much more from an iPhone or Android device. You can also use as many as 23 different languages and customize the interface by hiding unused icons and renaming functions. A tablet version is also available.
- Create and control your zones. The AV Controller App can create zones and control various functions with multi-zone installations. Zone selection is easily accomplished from within the app by choosing icons for each zone to reflect the location (bedroom, kitchen, etc.). Power on/off, select inputs or network streaming services, change volume and much, much more. Flip to Party Mode to allow for volume control of the party function.
Support for the Latest Surround Format, Dolby Atmos
- Enter a new world of sound with Dolby Atmos. It transports you from an ordinary moment into an extraordinary experience with captivating, multidimensional sound that fills your room with amazing richness and depth. Music, people, and objects come alive in breathtaking detail and flow in precise choreography all around you, making you feel like you are truly there. The combination of Dolby Atmos and Yamaha AV receivers will fill the room with multidimensional sound that makes you feel as if you are right in the middle of the story unfolding on the screen.
Support for the Latest Surround Format, DTS:X
- DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS.
- Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. The combination of DTS:X and Yamaha AV receivers will fill the room with multidimensional sound that makes you feel as if you are right in the middle of the story unfolding on the screen.
- DTS:X playback capability will be available via future firmware update.
Speaker Layout Patterns Designed for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X Playback
- Yamaha provides multiple placement patterns for presence speakers that support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, creating a sound field that’s ideal for your setup. Any layout can be appropriately reproduced, including the three-dimensional space of CINEMA DSP as well as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
- Furthermore, YPAO - Reflected Sound Control optimizes the listening environment and fundamental high quality audio design takes full advantage of the detailed spatial localization capability of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. The combination of these object based surround technologies and Yamaha AV receivers will fill the room with multidimensional sound that makes you feel as if you are right in the middle of the story unfolding on the screen.
Featuring the Absolute Latest Technologies, the 11.2-channel Preamp That Brings You New Dimensions in Sound Reproduction
- The CX-A5100 is the flagship AV preamp from Yamaha featuring the latest versions of 3D surround formats, advanced network functions such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth compatibility and full 4K support with HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI. In combination with the MX-A5000 power amplifier, you can enjoy a premier 3D sound field with CINEMA DSP HD3 in a 11.2-channel speaker configuration or a 7.1.4-channel configuration with the newest surround sound formats found in movie theaters worldwide — in your own home.
YPAO - R.S.C. with 3D, Multipoint and Angle Measurement
- During the automatic room calibration process, YPAO – R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement analyzes the room acoustics and performs speaker angle measurements. After this, YPAO calibrates all of the audio parameters to achieve optimum sound at any of the listening positions in the theater. It employs Reflected Sound Control to correct early reflections for studio-quality surround sound playback. Additionally, it includes DSP Effect Normalization, which varies with each CINEMA DSP program and adjusts the room acoustics according to the reflected sounds of that CINEMA DSP program.
YPAO Volume to Ensure Natural Sounds Even at Low Volume
- Human ears have less sensitivity to high and low frequencies, especially at lower volumes. YPAO Volume applies loudness EQ correction to automatically adjust high and low frequency levels as the volume changes. Using the YPAO measurement results, EQ correction is optimized to your system settings and listening environment.
True Sense of Realism Produced by the Next-Generation CINEMA DSP HD3, Compatible With All the Latest Formats
- The CX-A5100 supports the latest surround sound playback formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. In addition to conventional channel-based audio, it is possible to create a 3D space in which separate acoustic elements can move freely, giving a sensation of the motion of “objects” above the viewers head that fully realizes the filmmaker’s intentions. What’s more, the revamped CINEMA DSP HD3 features newly developed signal processing algorithms to maximize the theater’s sound effect, accurately reproducing a new dimension of realism with a rich sense of presence unlike any system you’ve ever experienced. By supplementing the limited number of speakers in a home system, CINEMA DSP creates the effect of a movie theater’s size with a large number of speakers. Experience a realistic cinema sound field and truly become immersed in the moment of your favorite movie scene.
33 DSP Programs, Including 10 Introduced in the Flagship RX-Z11 Receiver
- The broad array of surround sound programs include 10 original sound programs featured in the flagship RX-Z11 receiver along with other DSP programs for movies, sports, music videos, concert halls and action / role playing games. Additionally, these 33 DSP programs are compatible with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround formats to allow you to hear the full potential of every movie and music source.
DSP Parameter Adjustment for Easy and Detailed Setting
- This AV receiver is equipped with a variety of sound programs that utilize original DSP technologies from Yamaha. These sound programs allow you to easily create sound fields like actual movie theaters or concert halls in your room to enjoy natural stereoscopic sound fields. It is now possible to use the AV Controller App to adjust the DSP parameters in a basic or advanced mode to match the mood of your favorite movie or music album.
Gapless Playback Compatibility Allows Play without Interruption
- Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard.
USB Digital Connection for iPod and iPhone on the Front Panel
- A USB port on the front panel allows convenient connection of an iPod and iPhone, which also charges the iOS device when connected. Because the digital signal from the iPod and iPhone is transmitted directly to the AV receiver, there is no signal-loss or interference. You get to enjoy the best possible sound quality. In addition, you can use the receiver’s remote control unit to operate the iPod and iPhone for basic playback control.
Virtual Presence Speaker and Virtual Surround Back Speaker
- With the power of CINEMA DSP 3D, the Virtual Presence Speaker function makes full use of center and surround speakers to create audible information from where presence (height) speakers are normally installed. In addition, this model also features a Virtual Surround Back Speaker function. Even without using surround back speakers, you can experience more natural, lifelike sound from behind you without physical speakers being installed in the surround back area of the listening environment.
Virtual CINEMA FRONT Provides Virtual 7-channel Surround Sound with High Quality and Resolution
- The Virtual CINEMA FRONT feature allows for more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room. Simply place the surround speakers in the front of the listening area to enjoy a virtual 5-channel surround sound with superior rear virtual sound localization.
Advanced Multi-language GUI On-screen Display
- The latest graphical user interface from Yamaha has a high-resolution display with clear, easy-to-use menus and also includes a selectable status bar that shows input source, volume level, DSP mode and audio format. The GUI provides a choice of eight languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese and Chinese and can be displayed over both normal and 3D pictures.
Extra-convenient SCENE PLUS
- The SCENE PLUS function simplifies operation by providing one-touch operation to automatically power-on the preamplifier along with selecting the desired source input and the appropriate DSP programs. SCENE PLUS offers a choice of 12 SCENE selections, four of which can be assigned to the second zone in a multi-zone system. SCENE PLUS can be selected from the front panel, remote control, GUI and the AV Controller App.
Handy Trigger Control
- The CX-A5100 provides two trigger output jacks that enable control of connected component functions such as power on/off and input selection. The MX-A5000 or another amplifier or subwoofer with a Trigger In jack can be connected to allow use of the convenient Trigger function.
AV SETUP GUIDE for Easier Installation
- The AV SETUP GUIDE makes it much easier to perform the set up process with the Yamaha AV receiver. This app assists you with cable connections between the AV receiver and source devices. Additionally, it guides you through various settings such as speaker connections, TV and source device connections and power amplifier assignments. System illustrations and actual AV receiver images help you understand how to make the connections between devices. It is available in multiple languages and is designed for iOS and Android tablets.
Yamaha CX-A5100 AVENTAGE Series AV Pre-amplifier Specifications:
Surround Sound Processing
- CINEMA DSP: Yes (HD3)
- DSP Programs: 33
- Dialog Level Adjustment: Yes
- Virtual Presence Speaker: Yes (with Virtual Rear Presence Speakers)
- Dialogue Lift: Yes (no presence speakers required)
- SILENT CINEMA / Virtual CINEMA DSP: Yes
- Dolby Atmos: Yes
- Dolby TrueHD: Yes
- Dolby Digital Plus: Yes
- Dolby Digital: Yes
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Yes
- DTS:X: Yes
- DTS-HD Master Audio: Yes
- Pure Direct: Yes (with video on mode)
- Compressed Music Enhancer: Yes
- High-resolution Music Enhancer: Yes
- YPAO multi-point measurement: Yes (R.S.C., 3D and angle measurement)
- YPAO Volume: Yes
- Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control): Yes
- Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting: Yes
- R.T. Wedge: Yes
- Audio Delay: Yes (0-500 ms)
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channel: Yes (ESS Technology ES9016S SABRE32™ Ultra DAC + ESS Technology ES9006A SABRE™ Premier Audio DAC x 2)
- 4K Ultra HD Pass-through and upscaling: Yes (4K 60p 4:4:4)
- HDMI 3D pass-through: Yes
- HDMI Audio Return Channel: Yes
- Component upscaling: Yes
- HDMI upscaling: Yes (analog to HDMI / HDMI to HDMI)
- Video adjustment: Yes
- Deep Color/x.v.Color/24Hz Refresh Rate /Auto Lip-Sync: Yes
- HDMI Input/Output: 8 in / 2 out (HDCP 2.2: 7 in / 2 out)
- HDMI CEC: Yes (SCENE, Device Control)
- USB Input: iPod / iPhone, USB memory, portable audio player
- Network Port: Yes
- MusicCast: Yes
- Wi-Fi: Yes (with Wireless Direct)
- AirPlay: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes (AAC)
- Front AV Input: HDMI / USB / Analog Audio / Composite Video
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Optical: 3 / 0
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Coaxial: 3 / 0
- Analog Audio Input/Output: XLR Balance: 1 / 0, RCA Unbalance: 9 (front 1) / 0
- Phono Input: Yes
- Component Video Input/Output: 3 / 1
- Composite Video Input/Output: 5 (front 1) / 1
- XLR Balance: 11.2-ch
- RCA Unbalance: 11.2-ch
- Headphone Output: 1
- FM/AM Tuner: Yes
- On-screen display: Graphical User Interface
- SCENE: SCENE PLUS (12 sets)
- App Control: Yes (iPhone® / iPad® / Android™ phone / tablet)
- Web Browser Control: Yes
- Remote Control Unit: Yes (preset, learning, macro, full LED backlight)
- Zone 2 Audio Output: Preout / HDMI
- Zone 3 Audio Output: Preout
- Zone 4 Audio Output: HDMI
- Zone Video Output: HDMI / Component / Composite
- Zone HDMI: Yes (Advanced HDMI zone switching)
- Zone B Output: HDMI
- Zone GUI: Yes
- RS-232C Interface: Yes
- +12V Trigger Output: 2
- Remote (IR) Input/Output: 1 / 1
- Party Mode: Yes
- Standby Power Consumption (IR only): </0.1 W
- Auto Power Standby: Yes
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8” x 7-1/2” x 18-5/8” (with antenna up: 17-1/8” x 9-3/4” x 18-5/8”)
- Weight: 29.8 lbs.