Ultrasone Edition 8 Ruthenium Over-Ear Headphones Overview
Looking for an ultra-chic, ultra-sensuous and ultra-satisfying pair of headphones for the ultimate listening experience? The Edition 8 Ruthenium from German headphone specialist Ultrasone features the patented S-Logic EX Natural Sound system for a smooth, deep and realistic soundstage. Special MU metal shielding protects users against low-level electromagnetic radiation. Finished in luxurious ruthenium (a member of the platinum family), with ear pads and band wrapped in the finest sheep’s leather, the Edition 8 Ruthenium pairs perfectly with portable and home systems for elegant, accurate listening.
- Dynamic, closed-back, circumaural (around-the-ear) design
- S-Logic Plus with EX for the most natural soundstage and imaging
- ULE metal shielding protects against electromagnetic radiation
- Titanium-coated 40mm mylar drivers with neodymium magnets extend frequencies beyond human hearing (6 Hz – 42 kHz).
- Sensitivity 96dB SPL/mW
- Solid aluminum headband and ruthenium-coated ear cups, with decorative noble-metal clasp
- Band and cups covered in dark grey premium leather from Ethiopian long-haired sheep
- Handmade in Germany
- Comes with cleaning cloth, extension cable, phone plug adapter and goatskin carrying sack
- Light weight at 0.57 lbs. (not including nondetachable cord)
- Warranty: 2 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Ultrasone’s artisan roots
The company has been designing high-end headphones for more than 25 years for studio, professional, semi-pro and consumer markets. Each of their premium products is engineered with the same German precision. The Edition 8 Ruthenium is crafted of the finest materials and, as are most of Ultrasone’s headsets, it’s hand made, assembled and tested at the company’s estate in the Bavarian Alps.
Most headphone makers center their drivers in the cup and shoot the sound directly into the ear, bypassing natural resonances and anatomical acoustics. But Ultrasone’s patented S-Logic Plus technology places its drivers asymmetrically down and forward from the ear canal, and fine-tunes the damping and acoustic reinforcement so the driver, mounting board and spatial placement combine for the most natural sound and staging. That means the horn section that was blaring off the back of your skull shifts to a stage in front for a more natural, concert-like experience with the depth of a real listening environment.
…and a little EX-tra
Refining the original asymmetrical concept, the S-Logic EX system places the drivers in a funnel shaped structure, locating them still further from the ear canal and augmenting the spacious, natural environmental effect. The 40mm titanium-coated mylar drivers, designed specifically for this placement, boast powerful rare-earth magnets for a frequency range well beyond human hearing and fast transient response, adding up to the highest in audio fidelity.
For those who wear headsets for hours on end, the Edition 8 Ruthenium incorporates Ultrasone’s patented ULE technology, which uses MU metal shielding to protect the user from any potential adverse effects from long-term exposure to low-level electromagnetic radiation. Combined with S-Logic’s side benefit of higher perceived loudness at lower actual sound pressure levels, that means you can feel absolutely confident and secure enjoying the Edition 8 Ruthenium for longer listening periods.
Lovely to look at
The Edition 8 Ruthenium is made from the finest materials. The outer ear cups are finished in ruthenium, a metallic coating known for durability as well as eye-catching sheen. The headband is crafted of precisely engineered aluminum for light weight and resilience, providing a secure, comfortable fit. The headband and ear cups are both covered in premium gray leather from Ethiopian longhair sheep, for soft, supple contact with skin and long-wearing comfort. With a weight of a little more than half a pound (not including the non-detachable cord with gold-plated 3.5 mm plug), it slips with its microfiber cleaning cloth, extension cable and ¼-inch adapter plug into its fine-grain Madras goatskin bag for go-anywhere, do-anything convenience.
You want to feed headphones of the Edition 8 Ruthenium’s quality the finest source material, designed specifically for personal listening. Consider a dedicated headphone amp/DAC such as the Marantz HD-DAC1 or McIntosh MHA150.
- Principle: Dynamic, closed
- S-Logic Plus
- ULE technology
- Impedance: 30 ohm
- Driver/driver size: Mylar/Titan, 40mm
- Magnet: NdFeB
- Frequency range: 6Hz - 42,000Hz
- SPL: 96dB
- Weight (without cord) : 0.57 lbs.
- Solid aluminum headband
- Ruthenium coated ear cups
- Decorative clasp of noble metal
- Dark grey premium leather from Ethiopian long-haired sheep
- Handmade in Germany
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Edition 8 Ruthenium Over-Ear Headphones
- Exclusively leather transportation bag
- Micro fiber cleaning cloth
- Non-detachable cable USC cord with 3.5mm gold-plated plug, cable length: 1.2m (OFC cable)
- USC extension cable with 3.5mm gold plated plugs, cable length: 4m (OFC cable)
- Adapter 3.5/6.3mm gold-plated