Ultrasone Edition 8 EX Over-Ear Headphones Overview
If you are seeking the ultimate personal listening experience, take a look at the gorgeous, precision-engineered Ultrasone Edition 8 EX. This handcrafted headset is one of those rare pieces of equipment that is as lovely to look at as it is to listen to. The firm’s patented S-Logic EX Natural Sound system delivers a smooth, deep and realistic soundstage while allowing lower listening levels for equivalent perceived loudness. MU metal shielding protects users against low-level electromagnetic radiation. Finished in high-gloss coated chrome with polished ceramic inlays, and wrapped in fine Ethiopian sheep’s leather for comfort, the Edition 8 EX delivers an elegant, accurate listening experience.
- Dynamic, closed, over-ear (circumaural) design
- S-Logic EX technology creates a deep, natural soundscape
- ULE shielding protects against long-term exposure to low-level electromagnetic radiation
- 40mm mylar/titanium drivers with neodymium magnet delivers frequency range beyond human hearing (5 Hz – 46 kHz)
- Solid aluminum headband, wrapped in premium leather from Ethiopian long-haired sheep
- Chrome-plated, PVD coated ear-cups finished to an attractive gloss, with ceramic inlays
- Magnetically attached ear pads are covered in the same supple sheep’s leather for long listening comfort
- Handmade in the German Alps
- Comes with aluminum case, microfiber cleaning cloth, detachable LEMO cable set, jacks and adapters for 3.5mm and ¼-inch connections
- Weight: .73 lbs. (excluding cord)
- Warranty: 2 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Ultrasone’s artisan roots
The company has been designing high-end headphones for more than 25 years for studio, professional, semi-pro and consumer markets. Each of their premium products is engineered with the same German precision. The Edition 8 EX is crafted of the finest natural materials and, as are most of Ultrasone’s headsets, it’s hand made, assembled and tested at the company’s estate in the Bavarian Alps. Ultrasone calls the Edition 8 EX “a luxurious piece of art,” and indeed, it’s the German headphone specialist’s expression of the state of the art.
Most headphone makers center their drivers in the cup and shoot the sound directly into the ear, bypassing natural resonances and anatomical acoustics. But Ultrasone’s patented S-Logic Plus technology places its drivers asymmetrically down and forward from the ear canal, and fine-tunes the damping and acoustic reinforcement so the driver, mounting board and spatial placement combine for the most natural sound and staging. That means the horn section that was blaring off the back of your skull shifts to a stage in front for a more natural, concert-like experience with the depth of a real listening environment.
…and a little EX-tra
Further refining the original asymmetrical concept, the S-Logic EX system places the drivers in an elaborate funnel-shaped structure, locating them still further from the ear canal and augmenting the spacious, natural environmental effect. The 40mm titanium-coated mylar drivers, designed specifically for this placement, boast powerful rare-earth magnets for a frequency range well beyond human hearing and fast transient response, adding up to the highest in audio fidelity.
For those who wear headsets for hours on end, the Edition 8 EX incorporates Ultrasone’s patented ULE technology, which uses MU metal shielding to protect the user from any potential adverse effects from long-term exposure to low-level electromagnetic radiation. That, combined with S-Logic’s side benefit of higher perceived loudness at lower actual sound pressure levels, means you can feel absolutely confident and secure enjoying the Edition 8 EX for longer listening periods.
Form follows function
The Edition 8 EX headphones are formed from the finest materials: The outer ear cups are high-gloss and chrome-plated with matte chrome decorative rings, and finished with a durable thin-film coating by an evaporation process; the connection plates are polished, engraved ceramics. The magnetically attached ear pads are covered in long-haired Ethiopian sheep’s leather for supple, comfortable personal-listening isolation. The same soft leather surrounds the precision-engineered aluminum headband. With a weight of just 12 ounces (not including detachable cords with professional push-pull LEMO connections and gold-plated 3.5 mm and ¼-inch adapters), it packs into the included aluminum carrying case for go-anywhere, do-anything convenience.
You want to feed headphones of the Edition 8 EX’s quality the finest source material, designed specifically for personal listening. Consider a dedicated headphone amp/DAC such as the Marantz HD-DAC1 or McIntosh MHA150.
- Principle: Dynamic, closed
- S-Logic EX technology
- ULE technology
- Impedance: 38 ohm
- Driver/driver size: Mylar/Titan, 40mm
- Magnet: NdFeB
- Frequency range: 5Hz - 46,000Hz
- SPL: 96dB
- Weight (excluding cord): 0.73 lbs.
- Solid aluminum headband
- High-gloss chrome-plated and PVD coated ear-cups
- Ceramic inlays and engraved logo
- Matte chrome decorative rings
- Dark grey premium leather from Ethiopian long-haired sheep
- Innovative magnetically attached ear-pads
- Handmade in Germany
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Edition 8 EX Over-Ear Headphones
- High-quality aluminum case
- Micro-fiber cleaning cloth
- 3m premium cable with LEMO connectors, 3.5mm jack
- 1.2 premium cable, with LEMO connectors, 3.5mm jack
- Screw-on 6.3mm adapter