- Accessibility Shortcut: Yes
- Audio Description (Audio key): Yes
- Closed Caption: Closed Caption
- Screen Reader: Yes
- Text Magnification: Yes
- Voice Search: Yes
- Built-in Tuner
- Number of Tuners (Terrestrial/Cable): 1(Digital/Analog)
- TV System (Analog): M
- TV System (Digital Cable): Clear QAM
- TV System (Digital Terrestrial): ATSC/ATSC 3.0(NEXTGEN TV)
- Tuner Channel Coverage (Analog): VHF: 2-13/UHF: 14-69/CATV: 1-135
- Tuner Channel Coverage (Digital Cable): CATV: 1-135
- Tuner Channel Coverage (Digital Terrestrial): VHF: 2–13/UHF: 14–69 (14–36 for ATSC 3.0)
- APPLE AIRPLAY: Yes
- APPLE HOMEKIT: Yes
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM): Yes (for HDMI™3/4)
- Bluetooth profile support: version 4.2; HID (mouse/keyboard connectivity)/HOGP (Low Energy device connectivity)/SPP(Serial Port Profile)/A2DP (stereo audio) /AVRCP (AV remote control)
- CHROMECAST BUILT-IN: Yes
- Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s): No
- Composite Video Input(s): 1 (Side, Mini jack)
- Digital Audio Output(s): 1 (Side)
- Ethernet inputs: 1 (Side)
- Features specified in HDMI2.1: 4K120/eARC/VRR/ALLM
- HDCP: HDCP 2.3 (for HDMI™ 1/2/3/4)
- HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC): Yes (eARC/ARC)
- HDMI inputs total: 4 (4 side)
- HDMI-CEC: Yes
- Headphone Output(s): 1 (Side)
- IF (satellite) input(s): No
- RF (Terrestrial/Cable) Connection Input(s): 1 (Side)
- RS-232C Input(s): 1 (Side)
- USB HDD Recording: No
- USB drive format support: FAT16/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS
- USB playback codecs: MPEG1: MPEG1/MPEG2PS: MPEG2/MPEG2TS (HDV, AVCHD): MPEG2, AVC/MP4 (XAVC S): AVC, MPEG4, HEVC/AVI: Xvid, MotionJpeg/ASF (WMV): VC1/MOV: AVC, MPEG4, MotionJpeg/MKV: Xvid, AVC, MPEG4, VP8. HEVC/WEBM: VP8/3GPP: MPEG4, AVC/MP3/ASF (WMA)/LPCM/WAV/MP4AAC/FLAC/JPEG; WEBM: VP9/AC4/ogg/AAC/ARW (Screen nail only)
- USB ports: 2 (side)
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): Yes (for HDMI™3/4)Wi-Fi Standard Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- BEZEL COLOR: Black
- BEZEL DESIGN: Flush Surface
- REMOTE CONTROL: Standard Remote
- STAND COLOR: Titanium Black
- Stand design: Slim Blade stand
- Dimensions and Weight
- DIMENSION OF TV WITH STAND (STANDARD POSITION) (W x H x D): 44.06" x 28.15" x 11.26"
- Dimension of Package Carton (W x H x D): 48.23" x 30.79" x 5.55"
- Dimension of TV without Stand (W x H x D): 44.06" x 25.55" x 2.76"
- STAND WIDTH (STANDARD POSITION): 26.18"
- Screen Size (inch, measured diagonally): 50" (49.5")
- VESA® Hole Pitch (W x H): 7.87" x 7.87"
- Weight of Package Carton (Gross): 41.9lb (19 kg)
- Weight of TV without Stand: 29.8 lb (13.5 kg)
- Model year
- Model year: 2021
- Picture (Panel)
- Backlight dimming type: Local Dimming
- Backlight type: Direct (Full Array LED)
- Display resolution (H x V, pixels): 3840 x 2160
- Picture (processing)
- Clarity enhancement
- XR 4K Upscaling
- Dual database processing
- XR Super Resolution
- Color enhancement
- XR Triluminos Pro™
- XR Smoothing
- Live Color™ Technology
- Contrast enhancement
- XR Contrast Booster
- XR HDR Remaster
- Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) compatibility: Yes (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision)
- Motion enhancer (Native Hz): XR Motion Clarity, Auto mode
- NETFLIX CALIBRATED MODE: Yes
- Picture modes: Vivid, Standard, Cinema, IMAX Enhanced, Game, Graphics, Photo, Custom, Dolby Vision Bright, Dolby Vision Dark, Netflix calibrated
- Picture processor: Cognitive Processor XR
- SENSOR: Light
- Video signal support: HDMI™ signal: 4096 x 2160p (24, 60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24, 30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080p (30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p
- Clarity enhancement
- Power and Energy saving
- Dynamic Backlight Control: Yes
- ECO FRIENDLY: Yes
- Mercury content (mg): 0.0 oz
- Power Consumption (in Standby): 0.5 W
- Power Requirements (voltage/frequency):
- 60 Hz for UL cUL 50/60 Hz for other
- AC 120 V for UL cUL AC 110-240 V for other
- Power Saving Mode/Back Light Off Mode: Yes
- Application Store: Yes (Google Play Store)
- Auto Calibration with CalMAN®: Yes
- Closed Captions (Analog/Digital)
- (Analog) Closed Caption
- (Digital)Closed Caption
- Display Language: AFRIKAANS, AMH, ARABIC, ASSAMESE, AZE, BEL, BULGARIAN, BENGALI, BOSNIAN, CATALAN, CZECH, DANISH, DEU, GREEK, ENGLISH, SPANISH, ESTONIAN, BAQ, PER, FINNISH, FRENCH, GLG, GUJARATI, HINDI, CROATIAN, HUNGARIAN, INDONESIAN, ISL, ITALIAN, HEBREW, JAPANESE, KAZAKH, KANNADA, KOR, KIR, LAO, LITHUANIAN, LATVIAN, MACEDONIAN, MALAYALAM, MON, MARATHI, MAY, BUR, NOB, NEP, NLD, ORIYA, PANJABI, POLISH, PORTUGUESE, ROMANIAN, RUSSIAN, SOL, SLOVENIAN, ALB, SERBIAN, SWEDISH, SWAHILI, TAMIL, TELUGU, THAI, TGL, TURKISH, UKRAINIAN, URD, UZB, VIETNAMESE, SIMPLIFIED CHINESE, TRADITIONAL CHINESE, ZULU
- Electronic Program Guide (EPG): Yes
- Internet Browser: Vewd (not pre-installed)
- On-board Storage (GB): 16 GB
- On/Off Timer: Yes
- Operating System: Android TV™
- Sleep Timer: Yes
- Teletext: No
- Text Input Language: ENGLISH / FRENCH / GERMAN / HEBREW / ITALIAN / RUSSIAN / SPANISH / VIETNAMESE / JAPANESE
- Voice Search: Yes
- Sound (Processing)
- ACOUSTIC AUTO CALIBRATION: Room & User Position Compensation
- DTS audio format support: DTS Digital Surround
- Dolby audio format support: Dolby™ Audio, Dolby™ Atmos
- FM Radio: No
- Simulated surround sound: 3D Surround Upscaling
- Sound modes: Standard, Dialog, Theater, Music, Sports, Dolby Audio
- Sound processing: No
- VOICE ZOOM: Voice Zoom 2
- Sound (Speakers and Amplifier)
- Audio Power Output: 10 W + 10 W
- Speaker Configuration: Full Range (Bass Reflex) x 2, Tweeter x 2
- Speaker Type: Acoustic Multi-Audio Sound Positioning Tweeter, X-Balanced Speaker
What's in the Box
What's in the Box
- AC Power Cord
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Table Top Stand
- Voice Remote Control
Customer Reviews for Sony XR50X90J 50" Class BRAVIA XR Full Array LED 4K Ultra HD Smart Google TV with Dolby Vision HDR
First, I LOVE the brightness. You get this TV for the BRIGHTNESS and the rich Colors. I mean this thing is soo bright ( and yes you can change the settings to your liking) When I feel asleep on the TV, I thought someone turned the light on. Soo great on Whites and Blacks compared to my last 40" Sony TV (which is still a really good TV)
This really pops on the PlayStation 5. I love how it doesn't overexaggerate the picture like some of the Samsung does. It makes it even easier to read text, And Love how Vivid how some of the Colors look. I didn't notices much latency. Playing Returnal on this thing is fast and feels very accurate. I LOVE watching Movies on it too. Upgraded Netflix and it does look cleaner on it and with less artifacts and better on the Black Levels. I Watched Falcon and the Winter Soldier again on this, and looks better, and again, not overstated in the colors. A very clean and more true to live colors. Not as good as an OLED, but very good for a Full LED TV! Make sure you plug this into HDMI port 4, as that does up to 120Hz, ALLM, VRR when it drops, etc. Other ports doesn't do this and that you won't get the full experience on the PS5. It does switch to "Gaming mode" automatically, activating features like ALLM, QFT, and such that makes it a really great companion with the PlayStation 5. I also think it has QMS too because I haven't got a black screen when switching between sources!
I also love the ways it does menus. It also controls my DirecTV pretty good (I have the HR44 still, not the newer HR55). Not the BEST, not like having a Logitech Harmony, but pretty good for Non-universal Remote, that uses CEC to control everything. Oh and it almost fully controls your PS5 too, even turning it on from Standby and controlling the video apps. You really don't need the PlayStation Media remote for this. I also really LOVE how it controls my old Sony STR-DH790 receiver, giving it a graphical interface to control the features, instead of the old black-and-white menu of my older screen. Something little but a nice touch nonetheless.
I listen to the speakers a little, and they sound pretty good, but I typically listen to my receiver sound. I haven't tried Wi-Fi as I hardwire by LAN, but I've already had a couple of updates, and they go without a hitch and pretty decent speeds to upload from the TV.
A couple of downfalls. I do wish that I could customize the controller a little more. You can add features for when you hit the "display" at the bottom right of the controller, but hey for a none-universal controller, it does the trick. The transport buttons should be higher up too (Rew, Play, FF). I feel as it is too low on the controller, and doesn't feel "Great" when you have to move your hand down.
I also wish it had at least another HDMI 2.1 port. I am fine since I'm only gonna have the PS5 on this port, but if you also have other sources like an Xbox Series X or HEDT with a Newer NVidia or AMD Graphics card, you will have to choose which one you will get the best picture and features from, while the other ports will reduce it down to HDMI 1.4 specs. The Google TV voice control so far isn't the best with voice recognition. I'll have to test this more as well, but I'll experiment with it more since this is more Google TV that it has to do with the actual TV set.
All in all, a REALLY good set, and I know with firmware updates this will be even better. I really want Sony to release VRR, but of coarse if it isn't ready or great, I don't mind waiting a little for it. This is a great TV if you have a PlayStation 5, but be sure to plug it to the right port (HDMI port 4), and the right cables (I have the AudioQuest Ocean 48G). If you have to Demo it on a good source at your local store and see if you like it. I have no regrets purchasing this set. Hope this helps you with your purchasing decision.
Both my 2006 SXRD and 2014 X850B both operate at the same high level as the day I brought them both home. I still have a 2006 Sony KDL32S200 LCD 720p television set in our guest bedroom that works like new. Sony televisions never die, you have to retire them!
I have not experienced any green tint issue as is mentioned in other reviews. Nor do my wife and I find the preset modes to be as bad as some think. Standard was a bit bright for us so we switched to iMax mode and have never had to tweak anything again. We did find it a bit different that when installed on the supplied stands the set tilts slightly back. In researching this, I discovered this is by design to meet ergonomic standards.
The remote on this has been uncluttered compared to our X850B's remote. This has made the operation of the set much easier to learn. I especially appreciate the new user interface improvements. As a long time Playstation fan, I found it a breeze to adapt to.
As has been our experience with every Sony television set we've purchased in our lifetime, it worked flawlessly out of the box. My experience with Sony products and support has been nothing short of superior my entire life. This new X90J will not disappoint you!
At first, I was blown away by the unacceptable preset picture modes. I always tweak them a bit, but these are terrible. Had to reduce brightness, gamma, and others DRASTICALLY to provide an adequate picture. For each and every source input.
Green tinge update did nothing and experienced it on multiple sources. Poor latency for gaming (best I’ve pinged was 39 on PS5). Intermittent wireless WiFi disconnects. Pretty bad blooming, again on all sources. Very poor viewing angle. Intermittent picture quality. One second, 4K looks amazing. Beautiful clarity, contrast, natural color reproduction, and excellent motion processing. Then just wait for the exact opposite. This does vary by source, but nonetheless consistent.
I’ve returned the TV yesterday. I had a case open with Sony, escalated to Engineering Department, for over a week and a half. Sony, you have unacceptable customer support. No resolution was provided despite sending you the same issues on video numerous times. So frustrating.
This TV does have a great tuner for those who use an antenna, above average sound, and some of the best motion processing I’ve seen. Capable of jaw dropping 4K and upscaled HD content, but far from consistent.
Bottom line, save your money and a week and a half headache. Maybe I just got a “bad one” off the line, but Sony did nothing about it. It honestly hurts to say this as I’ve been such a fan of their products and was a loyal customer.