- Battery-powered portable amplifier
- Optimized for headphone usage
- Windows and Mac-supported
- 32-bit DA converters with jitter reduction
- Asynchronous USB data transfer
- 1 standard minijack output
- 1 pair of balanced minijack outputs
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery for 5 hours of listening
- Up to 28 hours of standard-output listening
- Durable aluminum body for a tough exterior
silicon belt and protection sheet
- Dimensions: 3.2” W x 1.1” H x 5.5” D
- Weight: 10.58 oz
- Warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Stereo Quality Anywhere and Everywhere
Ready to kick your music up a notch, even on the go? Our Sony PHA-3 High-Resolution Headphone Amplifier is perfect for the job. It brings stereo-system amplification to your headphones in one easy, lightweight package. Enjoy incredibly rich, quality music -- no matter where you are.
Made from Tough Stuff
Built to withstand the rigors of portable life, the PHA-3 features an extruded aluminum enclosure, the better for protecting delicate interior circuitry from impacts and outside interference. It also sports a fully-integrated front and rear alloy end-caps, the better for protecting terminals from hard knocks. Plus, its recessed controls reduce chances for accidental access during playback.
Never Stop Listening
Listen on -- and on -- with its built-in, fully-rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It’s good for 5 hours of balanced-audio playback when connected digitally via USB -- or for a whopping 28 of them when connected with the traditional analog ⅛” stereo input (headphone jack). This Sony headphone amp allows you to finally listen to a great performance the way the artist intended.
Connect to Literally Anything
Connect between your music source -- smartphone, tablet, MP3 player, and so on -- and your headphones to truly enjoy the rich, Sony quality sound previously only available on your speaker system. Or use the built-in array of connections to its fullest! With an analog audio output, the PHA-3 connects direct to your amps or your speakers. And with three USB ports -- two micro Type B’s and a standard Type A -- connect your computer and enjoy rich, full sound. The perfect add-on to mate your headphones with your brand-new iPhone 7.
Imagine Richer Music
This isn’t just a portable amp! It’s a Sony amp outfitted with their latest Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE HX) technology. Revitalizing high-frequency audio response, it’s perfect for listening to your HD audio library. Plus, it upscales all of your other signals -- your MP3s, your AAC, ATRAC, and WMA files -- to true high-definition audio. Enjoy the difference a good amp makes.
With a built-in asynchronous USB clock, the PHA-3 supports extremely accurate digital-to-analog (DA) conversions. The ultra-precise clock reduces timing inaccuracies when converting digital 1’s and 0’s into analog wave forms. This results in superior audio with minimal noise and distortion, all the while maintaining sound stage-integrity audio response.
Balance Your Audio
Check out the bottom of the amp; there are three input jacks. Why is this? In a home stereo system, you have to connect speakers separately to your amp, feeding your audio signal into left and right channels. Not only do you have a jack for normal headphones, but the other two jacks allow you to use balanced audio-capable headphones, such as our Sony MDR-27s.
Rethink Your Headphone Audio
Able to comprehensively decode pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio sources -- such as CDs -- and direct-stream digital (DCD) ones, the PHA-3 is able to deliver a truly high-resolution audio experience, straight to your headphones. Thought their sound was rich? Think again.
- Amplifier Section
- Impedance : Supported impedance: 8 - 600 Ohm (Normal - High)
- Amplifier Inputs and Outputs
- Digital Audio Input(s) : Inputs (3): USB Micro-B input (for charging & PC), USB Mini-B input (for Walkman™), USB Standard type A (for iPod®/iPhone®/iPad®)
- Volume Control : Rotary
- Distortion : 0.01% or less (1 kHz)
- Sampling Frequency : PCM (PC connection Maximum 384kHz/32bit), DSD (2.8MHz,5.6MHz)
- Frequency Response : 10 Hz - 100 kHz (AUDIO IN input)
- Case Type : Aluminum chassis
- Type of Use : Portable and Home
- Power On/Off : Integrated: Rotary power/volume knob
- General Specifications
- Recharging time : Approx. 15 hours (PC Connection)
- Inputs and Outputs
- Digital Audio Input(s) : Inputs (4): Computer, Walkman®, Xperia® connecting port, iPhone®, iPod®, iPad® connecting port, Optical input connecting port, Stereo Mini Jack
- Input(s) : Analog (1)
- Output(s) : Outputs (3): 3-pole mini jack (BALANCED-L) 3-pole mini jack (BALANCED-R) Stereo mini jack*1 (NORMAL)
- Battery Type : Built-in Lithium ion rechargeable battery
- Power Source : DC 3.7 V Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- Battery Life (Approx) : Digital (balanced) connection: Approx. 5 hours; Analog connection: Approx. 17 hours
- Battery Indicator : Yes: Lights up green when power is turned on, flashes to indicate battery level. See manual for details.
- Battery Charging (Approx) : Charging via USB: Appox. 15 hours from empty to full
Red battery charge LED on during charging
LED indicator turns off automatically once fully charged
Unit will not charge during playback
- Output Power : Maximum output: Approx. 320mW + 320mW (Balanced Connection, 32 Ohms, 1% distortion)
- Input Voltage : Maximum: 2 Vrms (AUDIO IN)
- Frequency Range : 10 Hz - 100 kHz (AUDIO IN input)
- Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : 80 mm x 29 mm x 140.5 mm (3.14 x 1.14 x 5.53 in.)
- Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 10.6 oz. (300 g) - rechargeable battery included