Easily connect to your PC or compatible digital music device via USB input to enjoy Hi-Res audio playback with the PHA-3 portable DAC/headphone amplifier. The PHA-3 samples PCM sources at 192kHz/24-bit and DSD sources at 2.8/5.6MHz.
- Unlock Hi-Res audio
The PHA-3 portable headphone amplifier delivers a high-resolution audio experience through your headphones. The PHA-3 can comprehensively decode PCM audio sources up to 384 kHz/32-bit in addition to DSD audio sources at 2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz formats.
- Flexible connectivity
With flexible connectivity the PHA-3 is much more than just a headphone amplifier. While the analog input provides easy plug-play connectivity with most MP3 players, smartphones and other audio devices, digital (USB) inputs including an optical terminal let you maximize your audio experience and enjoy high-resolution files stored on compatible: PCs, digital music players, Smartphones and the like. Perfect for interfacing with an external amp or active speakers, an analog audio output is available.
- Balanced Audio capable
As with a home stereo, you generally need to connect a pair of speakers, each one separately, to an amplifier. For the ultimate headphone experience, similar separated left and right channel audio connectivity can be used. Balanced audio output, results in an optimized listening experience, and in the case of the PHA-3 renders optimal audio performance when using compatible headphones such as the MDR-Z7 or XBA-Z5 headphones.
- Jitter-free audio
The PHA-3 features an asynchronous USB 2.0 clock that supports highly accurate DA conversions. The precision clock signal generator reduces timing inaccuracies when converting digital signals into analog waveforms. This maintains sound stage integrity and audio response, resulting in superior audio performance with minimal noise and distortion.
- High-quality amplification circuitry
Not only can the PHA-3 decode PCM audio up to 384 kHz/32 bit & DSD audio at 2.8 / 5.6 MHz, but in partnership with the ES9018 DAC and high-bandwidth OPA2604 headphone amp, it can deliver outstanding signal/noise performance up to 130 dB of dynamic range that will breathe new life into your favorite tracks.
- Maximize your music
Enjoy optimal audio performance with Sony-unique DSEE HX technology. DSEE-HX revitalizes high-frequency audio response while also up-scaling existing audio signals (MP3, AAC, ATRAC, and WMA) to high-resolution levels.
- Durable construction and materials
An extruded aluminum enclosure fits nicely in-hand and also protects the delicate circuitry inside from outside interference and impacts, while integrated, front and rear alloy endcaps protect the terminals from hard knocks. Recessed controls also reduce the chance of accidental access during playback.
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
The internal rechargeable battery provides up to 5 hours of balanced audio playback when connected digitally via USB, or up to 28 hours of playback when connected using the analog, 1/8” stereo input.
- Supplied accessories
Everything you need in the box: Digital cables for Walkman® and Xperia®, (1) micro-USB cable, (1) stereo mini cable, (1) silicone belt, and (1) Protection sheet.
- Amplifier Section
- Impedance : Supported impedance: 8 - 600 Ohm (Normal - High)
- Amplifier Inputs and Outputs
- Digital Audio Input(s) : Inputs (3): USB Micro-B input (for charging & PC), USB Mini-B input (for Walkman™), USB Standard type A (for iPod®/iPhone®/iPad®)
- Volume Control : Rotary
- Distortion : 0.01% or less (1 kHz)
- Sampling Frequency : PCM (PC connection Maximum 384kHz/32bit), DSD (2.8MHz,5.6MHz)
- Frequency Response : 10 Hz - 100 kHz (AUDIO IN input)
- Case Type : Aluminum chassis
- Type of Use : Portable and Home
- Power On/Off : Integrated: Rotary power/volume knob
- General Specifications
- Recharging time : Approx. 15 hours (PC Connection)
- Inputs and Outputs
- Digital Audio Input(s) : Inputs (4): Computer, Walkman®, Xperia® connecting port, iPhone®, iPod®, iPad® connecting port, Optical input connecting port, Stereo Mini Jack
- Input(s) : Analog (1)
- Output(s) : Outputs (3): 3-pole mini jack (BALANCED-L) 3-pole mini jack (BALANCED-R) Stereo mini jack*1 (NORMAL)
- Battery Type : Built-in Lithium ion rechargeable battery
- Power Source : DC 3.7 V Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- Battery Life (Approx) : Digital (balanced) connection: Approx. 5 hours; Analog connection: Approx. 17 hours
- Battery Indicator : Yes: Lights up green when power is turned on, flashes to indicate battery level. See manual for details.
- Battery Charging (Approx) : Charging via USB: Appox. 15 hours from empty to full
Red battery charge LED on during charging
LED indicator turns off automatically once fully charged
Unit will not charge during playback
- Output Power : Maximum output: Approx. 320mW + 320mW (Balanced Connection, 32 Ohms, 1% distortion)
- Input Voltage : Maximum: 2 Vrms (AUDIO IN)
- Frequency Range : 10 Hz - 100 kHz (AUDIO IN input)
- Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : 80 mm x 29 mm x 140.5 mm (3.14 x 1.14 x 5.53 in.)
- Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 10.6 oz. (300 g) - rechargeable battery included