Sony MDR-Z1R Signature Series Over-Ear Headphones Overview
Built for audio professionals and music enthusiasts alike, the Sony MDR-Z1R Signature Series Over-Ear Headphones feature cutting-edge technology for crisp, clear audio. The massive 70 mm HD drivers feature a Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm and magnesium dome that reduces spatial resonance and offers an uncompromising, dynamic sound. These over-ear headphones offer 120 kHz frequency response, which easily accommodates virtually any audio regardless of recording quality and genre. As a result, these headphones offer crisp highs and pounding bass in perfect balance. The resonance-free housing features a special acoustic filter to prevent unwanted noise from penetrating the earphones, so you can listen to your audio in its purest form without worrying about external distractions. A lightweight design and cushioned, sheepskin ear pads offer impressive comfort for long listening sessions, and the compartmentalized hard case makes transporting and storing headphones and accompanying cables simple and convenient.
- Closed dynamic (circum-aural) sound for added depth and clarity without distractions
- Soft sheepskin ear pads and adjustable, folding headband offer exceptional comfort
- 70 mm HD Drivers and High-Res Audio Support offer a full frequency range of audio up to 120 kHz
- Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm and magnesium dome allow for crisp, clear high frequencies and vivid bass
- Acoustic paper filter controls air resistance to eliminate reverberations and prevent unwanted noise from compromising audio quality
- Compatible with a variety of analog and digital amps for more responsive sound with balanced and unbalanced connections
- Enfolding design is tailored to wrap around the ear, sealing music in and keeping distractions out
- Includes hard case for over-headphone storage and protection
- Cord length: 118.13"
- Weight: 14 oz. (without cable)
- Warranty: 1 Year (World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for all brands we sell)
- Cable type: Detachable Y type
- Cable length: 3m
- Diaphragm: Aluminum coated LCP edge diaphragms with Magnesium dome
- Driver unit: 70mm, dome type (CCAW voice coil)
- Frequency response: 4Hz - 120,000Hz
- Headphone type: Closed, dynamic (circumaural)
- Impedance: 64Ω at 1kHz
- Magnet: Neodymium
- Plug: Headphone cable (Gold-plated stereo mini plug), Balanced-connection headphone cable (L-shaped gold plated balanced standard plug)
- Power Handling capacity: 2,500mW (IEC)
- Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
- Wearing style: Circumaural
- Weights (Approx.): 14 oz.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- MDR-Z1R Signature Series Over-Ear Headphones
- Gold-plated unimatch plug adaptor (stereo phono plug - stereo mini jack)
- Headphone cable (approximately 3m)
- Balanced-connection headphone cable (approximately 1.2m)
- Hard case
Customer Reviews for Sony MDR-Z1R Signature Series Over-Ear Headphones
I initially rejected these because I was convinced Sony's time had passed. The more reviews I saw, the more I got past all the marketing from everyone, the more I realized that so many headphones, if not all, have their own unique signature and that I would never be in a room with all 50 prospective cans to try for myself.
I enjoy EDM music mostly, but also bluegrass and other acoustical genres (country, rock). More and more I realized that these closed back headphones were probably perfect for me. I took the plunge and ordered them. I practiced delayed gratification and gave them an appropriate burn in phase.
I am 110% satisfied with my purchase. The craftsmanship with quality weeping from every detail is there. They are comfortable, not too heavy, but can get slightly warm on the ears. The soundstage is immersive and the base is smooth and rich. No fatigue that I've felt yet. I do own a few other similarly priced top name brands and can tell you that these are the best crafted and the most pleasurable phones I own.
I save the box for all of the audio gear I buy, just in case I ever decide to sell it down the road. I save this box for safe packaging when I move. I will own these until I'm ambient temp.
I would buy again without hesitation. Every time I go to my comfy chair (no smoking jacket) and sit down with a glass of wine (or soft drink), close my eyes and put these on, I go away. Really, really far away and it's magical.
Terrific HP otherwise and I've owned the all ( Meze Empyrean, Audeze LCD-4, Focal Utopia, Hifiman HE1000v2, Sennsheiser 800s, Dan Clark Ether Flow1.1 ) .
An XLR cable by Sony would be nice :-)
Adjustment and comfort during use is excellent.
I power them with a Chord Mojo DAC amp.
Having studied some reviews before I purchased them, I was aware of the “laid back” nature of the sound reproduction, which in turn has led to some negative responses.
With this in mind I would recommend that anybody considering purchasing them has an extended demo, to realise their full potential. Be careful though --- it will probably end up with you having to own them!