- Enjoy richer, more vibrant sound delivered by six built-in drivers
- Control volume and skip songs with just the touch of your hand
- Integrate with other Sonos speakers for a whole-house experience
- Play music stored on your mobile devices or use a music streaming service
Sonos PLAY:5 – Ultimate Wireless Smart Speaker for Streaming Music
The Sonos Play:5 Wireless Music System brings you the ultimate listening experience with the purest, deepest, most vibrant sound.
Sonos Play:5 Wireless Music System Highlights:
- The ultimate smart speaker for today’s streaming universe.
- Six smartly synchronized drivers deliver the purest, deepest, most vibrant sound.
- Trueplay tuning delivers sound that's true to the music and right for the room.
- Uses your WiFi to wirelessly stream the music you love.
- Control all your music and streaming services from a single app (on your smartphone, tablet or computer).
- Combines elegant design and ongoing software updates to provide your home with the ultimate music experience for years to come.
- It’s easy to get started and expand your system over time.
Sonos Play:5 Wireless Music System Features:
Hear it just like they played it. Pure and true.
Six speakers powered by six dedicated digital amplifiers
- The PLAY:5 uses six state-of the-art digital amplifiers individually coupled with six speakers to deliver great sound to any room. Each instrument, each voice, every detail shines through, pure and precise. With remarkably distinct clarity. And zero audible distortion. Even when you crank it up loud. Really loud.
- State of the art, great sounding amplifiers that are light weight, powerful and very energy-efficient in standby and use.
- Three tweeters create a crisp and accurate high-frequency response.
- Three dedicated mid-woofers ensure the faithful reproduction of mid-range frequencies crucial for accurate playback of vocals and instruments, while also delivering a deep, rich bass.
- Turn two PLAY:5s into separate left and right channel speakers to create wider, bigger, and deeper sound.
5.1 Home Theater
- Add two PLAY:5 speakers to a PLAYBAR and SUB for a true surround sound experience.
All-digital sound architecture
- All filter settings, active equalization, and time-alignment are done in the digital domain through state-of-the-art DSP circuitry so there's absolutely no loss of audio quality or energy.
Adjustable bass and treble controls
- Optimize sound performance using room-specific bass, treble, balance, and loudness controls. Adjust volume by individual room or by groups of rooms
- Trueplay measures the acoustics in any room – analyzing things like size, layout and furnishings. Then fine-tunes your PLAY:5 to make the music sound great, no matter where you place your speaker.
Access all your music
Pre-loaded Internet radio stations, free of charge
- Get over 100,000 free radio stations, shows, and podcasts, all for free. And you can tune in without turning on your computer: browse for stations, or type in specific call letters or a radio host you love.
Endless music from the most popular online music services
- Sonos works seamlessly with Amazon Music, Deezer, iHeartRadio, JB Hi-Fi NOW, JUKE, Pandora, Rdio, Rhapsody, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, Songza, Spotify, Stitcher SmartRadio, Radio by TuneIn, Concert Vault, WiMP, and downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks. (Service availability varies by region.)
Computer-free music playback
- Get instant access to millions of songs and thousands of radio stations without ripping, downloading, or even turning on a computer. Sonos connects directly to these services over the Internet and then streams the music to the rooms of your choice.
Play the music on your computer in any room
- Play music stored on up to 16 PCs, Macs or NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices on your home network, supporting the most popular audio formats, from iTunes to MP3.
Stream music from an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Sonos wirelessly plays your iTunes music, direct from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, to any room in your home.
Play music and audio from a CD or MP3 player, TV and more throughout the home
- An analog audio input lets you connect to an external audio source (such as a CD or MP3 player, TV, DVD, VCR, or radio) and play that music or audio on all Sonos players in the system.
Other cool features
Easy Internet connectivity for other products in your house
- When wirelessly connected to a BRIDGE, BOOST or another player, you can use the Ethernet port on the back of your PLAY:5 to bring standard Internet connectivity to your set-top box, DVR, PC, game console or network hard drive.
- The PLAY:5’s touch interface is a simple, convenient way to control your music right from the speaker. Just tap for volume up/down and swipe for next/previous track.
- Place the PLAY:5 on any kind of surface in your home without fear of scratches or scrapes.
- Designed to withstand high humidity, such as in a bathroom with a running shower. (The PLAY:5 is not waterproof or water resistant.)
Control your Sonos system with your smartphone, tablet or PC
Control all your music and rooms with your Android device, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
- Free Sonos Controller apps for Android, iPhone and iPad let you control your Sonos players, music on the Internet and your computer right from the palm of your hand. Download the apps for free on the iTunes App Store or Google Play.
Integrated, multi-room control
- If you have multiple music players, you can control what's playing in any room from anywhere in your house. Sonos Controllers aren't tied to a specific player, so you can use any Controller to control the music and the volume in all your rooms.
Find and play your favorite songs in an instant
- Search for songs and stations, choose the music, and control the volume from anywhere in your home.
- Android devices, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad connect to your Sonos system through your home WiFi network.
Includes Sonos Controller for Mac or PC
- Turn any Mac or PC desktop or laptop computer in your home into a Controller. The software is included for free with every Sonos component.
Wireless multi-room music with SonosNet
Built-in wireless capability
- The PLAY:5 can go anywhere, delivering music to any room in your house, wirelessly. Players and Controllers establish their own secure wireless mesh network that delivers the extensive range and superior performance you need to get music all over your house.
Play a different song in every room, at the same time
- Tune in to an Internet radio station in the bedroom, stream a music service in the kitchen and play a song from your music library in the living room — simultaneously.
Listen to the same song in every room, in perfect synchronization
- Play the same song in different rooms, simultaneously, without echoes or delays. Add or drop rooms from your rooms grouping and still be in sync.
Simple setup and expandable design
- No technical or wireless expertise required. Put a PLAY:5 in any room where you want music and connect it to your home WiFi network using the free Sonos Controller App. The Sonos System Setup software provides simple on-screen prompts on any Sonos CONTROL. With the touch of a few buttons, you’ll be play music all over the house in minutes.
Expandable wireless system
- Expand your wireless music system room by room. Wirelessly add more PLAY:5s to your house with the press of a single button and enjoy true multi-room music.
Automatic software updates
New features and music services delivered automatically — and for free
- The Sonos system keeps getting better over time with new features and music services. Once the Sonos music system has been registered, Sonos will automatically notify you when software updates are available. Simply press one button and your system updates itself.
Sonos Play:5 Specifications:
- Amplifier: Six Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speakers and acoustic architecture.
- Tweeters: Three tweeters create a crisp and accurate high-frequency response.
- Mid-woofers: Three dedicated mid-woofers ensure the faithful reproduction of mid-range frequencies crucial for accurate playback of vocals and instruments, while also delivering a deep, rich bass.
- Audio line-in: Auto-detecting 3.5mm audio line-in connection
- Stereo Pair setting: Turn two PLAY:5s into separate left and right channel speakers for an intense stereo listening experience. Place vertically for a deeper, more focused sweet spot, or sideways for wider, more shareable sound coverage.
- 1 Home Theater: Add two PLAY:5 speakers to a PLAYBAR and SUB for a true surround sound experience.
- Audio formats supported: Support for compressed MP3, iTunes Plus, WMA (including purchased Windows Media downloads), AAC (MPEG4), AAC+, Ogg Vorbis, Audible (format 4), Apple Lossless, Flac (lossless) music files, as well as uncompressed WAV and AIFF files. Native support for 44.1kHz sample rates. Additional support for 48kHz, 32kHz, 24kHz, 22kHz, 16kHz, 11kHz, and 8kHz sample rates.
- Note: Apple "Fairplay", WMA DRM and WMA Lossless formats not currently supported. Previously purchased Apple "Fairplay" DRM-protected songs may be upgraded.
- Music services supported: Sonos works seamlessly with most music services, including Pandora, Spotify, Deezer and Soundcloud. For a complete list see http://www.sonos.com/streaming-music.
- Operating systems (for stored files): Windows® XP SP3 and higher; Mac running OS X 10.6.8 or greater; NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices supporting CIFS
- Internet radio supported: Streaming MP3, WMA
- Album art supported: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
- Apple AirPlay music sources: Connect an Apple AirPlay music source, such as an Apple AirPort Expres, to any Sonos player with line-in. Enjoy songs from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in any or every room of the home.
- Playlists supported: iTunes, Rhapsody, WinAmp, Windows Media Player
- Playback modes: Crossfade, shuffle, repeat
- Wireless connectivity: Works on your home WiFi network with any 802.11b/g, 2.4GHz broadcast capable router.
- Also works on SonosNet, a secure AES encrypted, peer-to-peer wireless mesh network dedicated exclusively for your Sonos system to reduce WiFi interference
- SonosNet Extender: Functions to extend and enhance the power of SonosNet 2.0.
- Ethernet Port: One 10/100Mbps Ethernet port
- Weight: 14 lbs (6.36 kg)
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 8.03 x 14.33 x 6.06 in. (203 x 364 x 154 mm)
- Power Supply: AC 100-240V, 50-60Hz, universal input
- Storage temperature: 4°F to 158°F (-20°C to 70°C)
- Operating temperature: 32°F to 104°F (0°C to 40°C)
- Controls: Touch interface with volume up/down, previous/next track and play/pause.
- Status Indicator: Light indicates PLAY:5 status.
- Humidity resistant: Designed to withstand high humidity, such as in a bathroom with a running shower. (The PLAY:5 is not waterproof or water resistant.)
- Rubber and felt feet: Built-in rubber feet
- Multi-language support: Sonos System Software supports : Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish and Brazilian Portuguese.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Power cord
- Ethernet cable
- QuickStart Guide
- Legal/Warranty information
Customer Q & A
Have a functionality, compatibility, or otherwise product-specific question about this product? Ask it here! If you have a customer service or shipping question, please direct it to our customer service department
Customer Reviews for Sonos Play:5 - Ultimate Wireless Smart Speaker for Streaming Music
I already could hear the difference in the store but when I got it home and had it set up in less than 5 minutes
I was blown away by the sound of one speaker.
I definitely will add the whole system.
Sonos hit it out of the park!!!!
I bought my system with the thoughts of how portable it would be. I knew I would want to use it in at least 2 different rooms in my house as well as to take with me to our vacation cottage. I needed tech support in the latter location since Sonos was looking for my home wifi, and I was uncertain as to what I needed to do.
I have had a couple of tech issues due mainly to my lack of understanding of how Sonos works and have been completely satisfied with the total tech support experience.
I absolutely would recommend Sonos and in particular the Play:5 to others.