Rega Planar 2 Turntable
Questions? We're here to help.
Model: PLANAR2W UPC: 5056186702318 Item: 2435
Rega Planar 2 Turntable Overview
Think those Brits just throw great weddings? Wait’ll you see their turntables. Rega’s stellar line of turntables and accessories, now available at World Wide Stereo, demonstrates the UK manufacturer’s legendary dedication to vinyl reproduction in every model, since their first record player in the early ‘70s. The affordable Planar 2 exemplifies the company’s talent for turning out audiophile-quality packages at popular price points. Sharing modern styling cues and several components with the more upmarket Planar 3 and 6, the P2 starts with the brand-new, ultra-low friction RB220 tonearm, with “zero-play” ball bearings for effortless tracking. You get the low mass, high stiffness and high gloss laminated acrylic plinth in your choice of three stylish finishes, along with the high-accuracy, low-noise 24v motor and belt drive, with newly redesigned floating-glass “Optiwhite” platter. Rega pre-installs its own Carbon moving magnet phono cartridge for out-of-the-box ease and performance far beyond its moderate price. No wonder that Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity said in its review that the P2’s “warmth and controlled sound is truly what vinyl is all about.”
The new Planar 2 was developed over the past two years alongside the recently released Planar 3. Featuring the brand new RB220 tonearm, which is packed with groundbreaking new features.
- Re-designed feet - New improved foot assembly to increase stability and reduce vibration transfer.
- Carbon cartridge - supplied as standard on all Planar 2’s for simple plug and play convenience.
- Motor cover tray - with integrated cooling.
- Optional lid / plinth protectors - supplied to prevent marks on the plinth and keep it looking its best.
- Instructions - Easy to use multi-lingual quick start guide for easy set up.
A new 24v, low noise motor, acrylic laminated plinth, newly designed central bearing, and so much more. Every feature of this innovative new turntable is designed to extract the maximum amount of information and detail from your vinyl collection.
Featuring the brand new RB220 tonearm which is packed with groundbreaking new features. Incorporating new ultra low friction, Rega designed, bespoke, zero play ball bearings (Patent Pending), housed within a brand new, stiffer and lightweight bearing housing which was developed with a new automatic bias setting negating the need for the user to set bias, making it almost completely plug and play apart from simple arm balancing. The new housing also includes an integrated arm clip and uses Rega's latest custom aluminum arm tube.
The Planar 2 has a new 11mm self-securing brass bearing (Patent Pending) offering improved fit and less stress on the bearing preventing the transfer of potential energy.
High gloss acrylic laminated plinth, stiffer and vastly improved appearance with ergonomically positioned power switch. Three plinth finishes available, high gloss black, white, or red.
New 24v low noise, low vibration motor assembly and new PCB.
New float glass ‘Optiwhite’ 10mm – Improved accuracy platter.
- New-design RB220 ultra-low friction tonearm with precision ball bearings and automatic antiskate control
- High-gloss acrylic laminate-over-medite plinth (available in gloss black, gloss white, and red) designed for low mass and high stiffness
- “Floating-glass” flywheel platter with Optiwhite polished rim
- Low-friction self-securing central hub bearing for improved fit and lower stress
- Improved feet to reduce transmission of external noise and vibrations
- New 24-volt synchronous low-noise motor for speed accuracy
- Factory-fitted with the Rega Carbon moving-magnet cartridge for ease of installation and well-matched performance
- Dimensions: 4.6" high by 17.6" wide by 14.2" deep
- Weight: 12.1 lbs.
- Warranty: 3 years turntable, 1 year cartridge (World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for all brands we sell)
Impeccably stiff, from upper lip…
Rega engineered the P2’s RB220 tonearm new from the ground up, with ultra-low friction ball bearings housed in a stiffened lightweight housing (patent pending). The tubular aluminum tonearm automatically applies the proper amount of antiskate (compensation for the excess force toward the center of the LP). With the pre-mounted cartridge, all you need do is balance the arm and turn the counterweight just a bit more to apply the proper tracking force. Without tinkering, you get to the listening quicker.
…Down to the plinth
Those who expect turntables to carry a bit of heft might be surprised to pick up a Rega. The company believes that lighter and stiffer is better, and the whole package, a hair over 12 lbs., is engineered to minimize external vibration and resonance. The plinth, like others in the Planar line, is formed of acrylic-laminated MDF, fitted with newly-designed low-vibration feet. The package is quiet, sturdy, and attractive enough to fit with any modern décor.
And at the tip of the tonearm…
You’ll find Rega’s own Carbon phono cartridge, pre-fitted and tweaked for top performance. The Carbon and the P2, like nearly everything Rega makes, are assembled and tested at the company’s Southend-on-Sea, Essex facility. And the Carbon is matched to the Planar 2’s performance to extract every drop of fidelity from your treasured LPs.
Driven for accuracy
The belt-drive turntable helps reduce noise or “rumble” transfer from the frequency-locked 24-volt synchronous motor system. The belt, via pulley, drives the distinctive floating-glass platter with polished white edge, topped with a felt mat. And the entire assembly spins effortlessly around a central hub with patent-pending ultra-low friction brass bearings.
A hands-on experience
Keep in mind that the P2 is truly a “manual” turntable – which means, to shift speeds from 33 to 45 rpm, you lift the glass platter off and shift the belt along its pulley. And to change the tracking force, rather than spin a dial, you turn the counterweight ½ turn per gram. But in return, you get a superior audio experience that reaches well above the P2’s price class.
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.61" x 17.6" x 14.17"
- Weight: 12.12 lbs.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Planar 2 Turntable