Rega Planar 1 Plus Turntable Overview
The devil in dealing with digital devices is, when you just want to ease back and relax with some soothing black vinyl, there’s often nowhere to plug in a turntable. So, to complete the perfect out-of-box experience, Rega has installed a phono preamplifier right in the plinth/base of the Planar 1 Plus. The Planar 1, the most popular record player the UK specialist ever produced, had already simplified set-up with a pre-tweaked and balanced tonearm/cartridge combination. Now, the Plus of the Planar 1 Plus is an adapted version of Rega’s Fono Mini A2D phono preamp, an ideal match for the highly regarded Carbon moving magnet cartridge included with the RP1. The included phono cables (you might also need a 3.5mm adapter) connect you to any equipment with a line-level input, to enjoy the vinyl nirvana you seek. You get all the other advantages of the legendary RP1: the RB110 tonearm with zero-play bearings, a low-noise motor with aluminum pulley, the striking Thermoset gloss-laminated plinth, and incredibly simple set-up in minutes.
- Built-in phono preamp adds convenience, lowers noise and hum
- Preamplifier a perfect match for factory-fitted Rega Carbon cartridge
- As plug-and-play as a turntable gets
- RB110 ultra-low friction tonearm with precision “zero-play” bearings and automatic antiskate
- Thermoset plastic gloss-laminated plinth (gloss black or white)
- Phenolic resin flywheel platter
- Low-friction central bearing hub for improved fit and lower stress
- Improved feet for stability and reduced external vibration
- 24-volt synchronous low-noise motor for speed accuracy
- Dimensions: 4.6" high by 17.6" wide by 14.2" deep
- Weight: 9.6 lbs.
- Warranty: 3 years - World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
A Positive Plus
Rega’s Fono Mini A2D was already a fine match for the company’s own cartridges, amplifying and equalizing low-level moving-magnet signals for connection to an amp or receiver – or laptop, with an included USB port. Rega adapted the Mini, minus the USB, to nestle comfortably within the base of the RP1+. It’s not only convenient, but it also shortens, shields and solders wiring runs that often can attract external hum and noise. What Hi-Fi?, in its review, reiterates its 5-star enthusiasm for the Planar 1: “Rega delivers another winner – the Planar 1 Plus is the perfect marriage of convenience and sound quality.”
A Tweaked Tonearm
Rega’s new RB110 tonearm is fitted with what the company calls “bespoke zero-play” ultra-low friction bearings, which means the arm pivots effortlessly when it should, without wiggling when it shouldn’t. The head shell is ergonomically redesigned and stiffened. Antiskate compensation is applied automatically to counteract a tonearm’s tendency to swing inwards. And the tonearm-cartridge combination is factory set for that plug-and-play experience.
A Finer Flywheel
The RP1+ platter is formed of high-mass phenolic resin (a synthetic polymer), with the weight distributed toward the rim to enhance the flywheel effect and smooth out speed variations. The spindle has improved brass bearings, the sub-platter is belt-driven with an aluminum pulley, and the 24V synchronous motor is designed for low noise and speed stability.
A Better Base
The strikingly attractive plinth of the RP1+ is Thermoset high-gloss synthetics, available in black or white, and laminated to reduce external vibrations. (Like any turntable, you should take some care in the RP1’s placement, away from speakers and on an isolated, sturdy shelf.)
A Simpler Setup
Adjusted, balanced, tweaked and even set to the proper tracking force, the RP1+’s tonearm, cartridge and preamp come out of the carton as easy as possible to prepare. Slide on the 111-gram counterweight to the preset location at the back of the tonearm, remove the stylus guard, plug a power outlet and a line input on your amp, receiver or powered speaker, and take your new Rega Planar 1 Plus out for a spin.
- Power consumption
- 50Hz: 24V AC 0.142 mA maximum power consumption: 3.4W
- 60Hz: 24 V AC 0.129 mA maximum power consumption 3.1W
- Maximum output level (3.54cm/s RMS 45 degrees CBS STR100 band 6a and 7a): 370 - 410mV
- Output impedance: 1kΩ
- Frequency response (pre-amplifier only): 14Hz (-3dB point) to 100kHz (0.6dB point)
- RIAA accuracy (pre-amplifier only): 100Hz to 20kHz) ± 0.4dB typically better than ± 0.25dB
- Preamplifier gain: 40dB
- Preamplifier input loading: 47kΩ in parallel with 220pF
- Signal-to-noise ratio: -75dB A-weighted ref maximum output
- Power requirements: 50Hz 24V AC 0.142mA 3.4W - 60Hz 24 V AC 0.129mA 3.1W
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.60" x 17.59" x 14.17"
- Weight: 9.59 lbs.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Planar 1 Plus Turntable
Customer Reviews for Rega Planar 1 Plus Turntable
6 months ago