ProLogue Premium Stereo Power Amplifier
The highest rated stereo tube amp in its class just got better!
It has been overwhelming to see so many people buying and loving the ProLogue Premium power amplifier. The response has been fantastic, and can be summed up by what Robert Levi wrote in his review for Positive Feedback:
"PrimaLuna, which means "first moon" in Italian, reveals through its latest offerings very high taste levels, extraordinary musicality, and intensely refined realism which surprised and amazed this reviewer. Without even an interconnect in my system priced at less than either ProLogue Premium piece, I truly had no idea that anyone could produce gear at this superb level of performance, plus elegant fit and finish, at these low price points. PrimaLuna has just given me quite an education!"
The engineers at PrimaLuna's headquarters in The Netherlands had a real challenge. To improve on the ProLogue Four and Five, they incorporated many of the ground-breaking features from the more advanced DiaLogue Series. The next generation ProLogue Premium Series, is an engineering marvel — a single, power amplifier that sets a new benchmark in high-performance audio.
ProLogue Premium Power Amplifier Features:
- Adaptive AutoBias. A PrimaLuna Exclusive. If anybody tells you that they have auto bias, ask them precisely how. It's most likely not true. As with all PrimaLuna amps, you never have to worry about biasing your amp ever again, and the need for matched tubes is eliminated. Just plug in EL34, KT88, or KT120 (as well as many others) and AAB does the rest while improving sound quality. Tubes are constantly monitored and kept in their best operating range, reducing distortion by up to 50%!
- Custom wide bandwidth output transformers No other brand can copy the PrimaLuna sound for one simple reason: PrimaLuna output transformers. Almost every manufacturer buys their output transformers off the shelf; with varying degrees of success. Transformers are the most important (and most expensive) ingredient in making an amplifier. Our output transformers are custom wound in-house. The designs are the result of collaboration between engineers in the Netherlands and the United States, and built to the same standards that you come to expect from the world’s authority on tube amplifier manufacturing.
- That’s why PrimaLuna bass extension is deep and tight, the top end extended but without even a hint of grain, and that famous PrimaLuna midrange, which creates a sense of space and shape you won’t get anywhere else.
- Zero negative feedback - as with the ProLogue Series power amplifiers, the ProLogue Premium Power Amplifier uses a zero negative feedback topology for greater tonality and better overall musicality.
- SmartWatts design. PrimaLuna's true-value, low stress design philosophy. Many manufacturers fudge on their power ratings, claiming power that is mathematically impossible. Every seasoned tube owners knows that 20 watts from a tube amp is a ton of power. What is really important is that PrimaLuna runs their power tubes up to 40% easier than other manufacturers. You can tell easily by putting your hand on top of a PrimaLuna amp. They run cooler than others. There is no reason to run tubes at their jagged edge. Why do manufactures do it?
- Panel mounted ceramic tube sockets and rear jacks. Some brands will mount tube sockets or hook up jacks to a printed circuit board. As the product ages, these boards can crack by simply changing tubes or cables. All PrimaLuna products mount ceramic tube sockets to a standoff, and the rear panel jacks are secured directly the chassis.
- Point to point wiring and premium parts. The ProLogue Premium is a work of art with internal construction you won't find elsewhere. It takes more time to build, and is assembled buy artisans, but it is built to last a lifetime. We beautiful smooth midrange use Solen capacitors made in France and for great bass large Nichicon capacitors.
- BTI-circuit. BTI stands for "Bad Tube Indicator." On the chassis’ deck in front of each power tube, is a small LED that lights up if the tube goes bad. The circuit then puts the amp into protection mode. With other brands, this may be when you have to break out the soldering iron to replace a plate resistor, and replace two or four tubes because your amp requires matched sets. With PrimaLuna, you just replace the tube it tells you to (no matched tubes required), and turn the amp back on. No hassles, no headaches.
- PTP-circuit. If the power transformer should overheat, this "Power Transformer Protection" circuit cuts primary power, allows the amp to cool down, then resets itself.
- OTP-circuit. The "Output Transformer Protection" circuit protects the output transformers in the event of a massive tube failure or user error.
- +B relay. Replaces the plate fuse and works in conjunction with the OTP-circuit to protect the amp against tube failure. This method is less intrusive sonically and the relay resets itself once the faulty tube is replaced.
ProLogue Premium Power Amplifier Specifications:
- Output: 35 watts x 2 EL34, 40 watts x 2 KT88, 44 watts x 2 KT120, 48 watts x 2 KT150
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 85kHz +/- 0.5dB
- THD: Less than 1% at full power
- S/N Ratio: 89 dB
- Input Sensitivity: 775mV
- Power Consumption: 210 watts
- Dimensions: 14.5" x 8" x 15.5" (W x H x D)
- Weight: 46.3 lbs
- Inputs: 1 pair RCA
- Outputs: 4 and 8 Ohm speaker taps
- Standard Tube Complement: 4 x 12AU7, 4 x EL34