D86 Director - Fully Pivoting 3-Way In Ceiling Speaker Featuring An 8-Inch Glass Fiber Woofer, Exclusive DPSD Tweeter Technology And Zip-Clip Mounting System
Faithful sonic reproduction of any program material is the essence of the Director D86. Created as a blend of technology and artistic design, this speaker resides at the heart of the Origin line and is one of the most popular choices in our entire offering. Balancing performance and value, the Director D86 is the perfect solution for multi-room sound systems as well as home theaters in rooms that share multiple functions such as family rooms and living rooms.
More Bass For Your Space
- The amount of air a driver can move is a function of its surface area and the length of its throw or excursion. Driving the lower frequencies in the Director D86 is a long-throw 8-inch woofer, which has 80% more surface area than its 6-inch counterpart. However, our engineers have been able to fit this driver into an assembly the size of our competitor’s 6-inch models. The result is a much smaller footprint with dynamic bass. The woofer cone is made of glass fiber making it very light and rigid.
Tri-Linear Configuration (TLC)
- The Director 8 D86 features three drivers in a unique linear alignment. This three-way design allows for broader frequency response and superior power handling. The 3-inch midrange is made of glass fiber and the tweeter is our proprietary DPSD radiator.
- The ability to point or “direct" the sound toward a specific area in the room is critical when the speakers are mounted in the ceiling. The Director D86 features a mid-tweeter assembly that can be adjusted to focus the sound toward the listening area regardless of the speaker’s position in the ceiling. This allows for the speakers to be used in many applications. One example is a home theater where the soundstage, relative to the screen, is crucial. The seating area can be off axis and still remain in the “sweet-spot."
Dual Plane Stabilized Diaphragm (DPSD)
- A patented innovation that dramatically improves high-frequency performance, the DPSD radiator uses a unique suspension design that maintains the tweeters alignment throughout a larger frequency range. The suspension is attached at both the voice-coil and the peak of the dome allowing the driver to be crossed over at a much lower frequency. This results in improved dispersion and decreased distortion.
X-Wave Woofer Surround
- While in motion, frequencies between 700-1,400 Hz typically run up the cone of a woofer and are reflected back and forth from the center of the driver. This creates unwanted harmonic distortion. The X-Wave surround found in Origin woofers absorbs these frequencies reducing distortion and maintaining driver stability. This design also maximizes cone area by reducing the width of the surround.
- As the driver travels to the limits of its excursion, the suspension, made up of the spider and the surround, becomes more rigid, exerting more control on the movement of the cone. The result is increased, clean power output throughout the driver’s frequency range.
Compression Molded Woofer Baskets
- Utilizing the latest techniques and materials in plastic fabrication, Origin is able to create basket designs with superior stability and acoustic neutrality. These baskets combine with the driver suspension to increase linearity and improve overall performance.
Zip-Clip Mounting System
- This revolutionary mounting system requires no tools once the hole has been cut in the drywall. The mounting ring is installed and the ZipClips are hand squeezed into place. The main speaker assembly then slides into the mounting ring and locks in place with a simple clockwise rotation. It is also important when installing a loudspeaker in the wall or ceiling that it be stable and secure, restricting the vibration of the assembly and limiting transfer of energy into the wall. The Zip-Clip system spreads the weight of the speaker over a larger area than typical mounting systems accomplishing this result with minimal effort. Spring-loaded clips also create more uniform pressure against the drywall eliminating any warping or distortion of the speaker baffle.
- Switches on the speaker baffle, behind the grille, allow the installer to fine-tune the speaker’s performance through independent bass and treble adjustments. This is essential as the speaker’s proximity to adjacent walls and soffits can dramatically affect frequency response.
- A paintable, perforated grille with a micro bezel covers the entire speaker assembly and leaves a discreet finished appearance. Its magnetic attachment makes removing or replacing the grille fast and easy.
- Tweeter Dome: Silk DPSD
- Tweeter Diameter: 0.75" (20mm)
- Midrange Dome: Glass
- Midrange Diameter: 4" (102mm)
- Woofer Cone: Fiberglass
- Woofer Diameter: 8" (203mm)
- Frequency Response: 34Hz-20kHz
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 50 watts - 175 watts
- Sensitivity: 90dB +/- 3dB
- Depth: 7-3/8" (135mm)
- Diameter: 9-5/8" (244mm)
- Cutout Diameter: 8-3/4" (222mm)