D84 Director - Fully Pivoting 3-Way In Ceiling Speaker Featuring An 8-Inch IMG Woofer, Aluminum Tweeter And Zip-Clip Mounting System
Filling a home with music enhances the lives of every person living there. Doing so with loudspeakers that blend into the décor only adds to the experience. The Director D84 delivers quality sound in an elegant package that can be installed in every room of the house. A pair in the kitchen for background music while preparing meals or in the home office for listening to the big game are just a couple of options. The Director D84 will provide impressive performance wherever it is needed.
More Bass For Your Space
- The amount of air a driver can move is a function of its surface area and the length of its throw or excursion. Driving the lower frequencies in the Director D84, is a long-throw 8-inch woofer, which has 80% more surface area than its 6-inch counterpart. However, our engineers have been able to fit this driver into an assembly the size of our competitor’s 6-inch models. The result is a much smaller footprint with dynamic bass. The woofer cone is made of injection-molded graphite which offers low mass while consistently holding the driver’s shape.
Tri-Linear Configuration (TLC)
- The Director D84 features three drivers in a unique linear alignment. This three-way design allows for broader frequency response and superior power handling. The 3-inch midrange is made of injection-molded graphite and the tweeter is produced from formed aluminum.
- The ability to point or “direct" the sound toward a specific area in the room is critical when the speakers are mounted in the ceiling. The Director D84 features a mid-tweeter assembly that can be adjusted to focus the sound toward the listening area regardless of the speaker’s position in the ceiling. This allows for the speakers to be used in many applications. One example is a home theater where the soundstage, relative to the screen, is crucial. The seating area can be off axis and still remain in the “sweet-spot."
X-Wave Woofer Surround
- While in motion, frequencies between 700-1,400 Hz typically run up the cone of a woofer and are reflected back and forth from the center of the driver. This creates unwanted harmonic distortion. The X-Wave surround found in Origin woofers absorbs these frequencies reducing distortion and maintaining driver stability. This design also maximizes cone area by reducing the width of the surround.
- As the driver travels to the limits of its excursion, the suspension, made up of the spider and the surround, becomes more rigid, exerting more control on the movement of the cone. The result is increased, clean power output throughout the driver’s frequency range.
Compression Molded Woofer Baskets
- Utilizing the latest techniques and materials in plastic fabrication, Origin is able to create basket designs with superior stability and acoustic neutrality. These baskets combine with the driver suspension to increase linearity and improve overall performance.
Zip-Clip Mounting System
- It is important when installing a loudspeaker in the ceiling that it be stable and secure, restricting the vibration of the assembly and limiting transfer of energy into the wall. The revolutionary Zip-Clip system spreads the weight of the speaker over a larger area than typical mounting systems accomplishing this result with minimal effort. Spring-loaded clips also create more uniform pressure against the drywall eliminating any warping or distortion of the speaker baffle.
- A switch on the speaker baffle, behind the grille, allows the installer to fine-tune the speaker’s performance through treble adjustment. This is essential as the speaker’s proximity to adjacent walls and soffits can dramatically affect frequency response.
- A paintable, perforated grille with a micro bezel covers the entire speaker assembly and leaves a discreet finished appearance. Its magnetic attachment makes removing or replacing the grille fast and easy.
- Tweeter Dome: Aluminum
- Tweeter Diameter: 0.75" (20mm)
- Midrange Dome: IMG
- Midrange Diameter: 4" (102mm)
- Woofer Cone: IMG
- Woofer Diameter: 8" (203mm)
- Frequency Response: 36Hz-20kHz
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 50 watts - 150 watts
- Sensitivity: 89dB +/- 3dB
- Depth: 7-3/8" (135mm)
- Diameter: 9-5/8" (244mm)
- Cutout Diameter: 8-3/4" (222mm)