A Timeless Statement of Hi-Fi. The First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
A blend of premium materials, exquisite craftsmanship, and detailing that’s unmistakably Meze, Empyrean is one of the most technologically innovative planar magnetic headphones in the world.
Hybrid Array Driver
- Combines two independently shaped voice coils within the same diaphragm delivering more selective acoustic performance to the various areas within the structure of the ear
- Accurate Reproduction: Total harmonic distortion (THD) measures under 0.1% in the whole frequency range
- Lightweight: Reduced driver weight designed to create a headphone that offers prolonged listening sessions
- Ergonomic Shape: Ergonomically shaped driver structure with an increased active area
- Ultra High-Resolution Audio: Upper-frequency limit of audio reproduction is 110,000 Hz
- Ultra-Efficient: 100db@1mw/1kHz High performance without needing amplification
- Patent Pending Isodynamic Hybrid Array Driver: World's first in planar magnetic headphones
- Over 30 years of research and development have led to the creation of the first Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver. Meze Audio has collaborated with Rinaro to create a new standard in planar magnetic audio, the resulting technology being one of the lightest and most advanced planar magnetic drivers on the market.
- The Empyrean Driver combines individual switchback and spiral shaped voice coils, their unique shapes allowing sound to be targeted with more accuracy around the natural form of the ear. This unique combination generates an increased exposure of direct sound wave frequencies over the 10kHz range and improves imaging and localization by decreasing the impact of shortwave time delays caused by diffused field reflections.
Architecture of the Isodynamic Hybrid Array Driver
- Frame: Fiberglass infused ABS
- Rinaro Isoplanar Diaphragm: Weighing only 0.16 g while having 4650 mm of an active area.
- Hybrid Magnet Array: Symmetrically placed on each side of the diaphragm, our neodymium magnets are specifically arranged into a Hybrid Array to create an efficient Isodynamic magnetic field required for a uniform activation across the whole diaphragm surface.
Audible Benefits of a Dual Driver System
One of the problems with conventional planar magnetic arrays is coming from reflected signals entering the ear canal with different time delays, thereby worsening the focus of 3D sound imaging Combining different voice coil configurations makes it possible to create a better sound intensity distribution across the sound wavefront at high frequencies when directed at the auricle and ear canal.
An Ergonomic Approach Leads to a New Way of Thinking
To create an audiophile headphone that is powerful yet light the driver needed to maximize power output while reducing weight as much as possible. Weight was minimized by optimizing a magnet structure around an ovoid shape that fits the ear more closely. Power output was increased through the use of a completely bespoke coil and magnet array design that optimized the active usable area of the driver within its ovoid shape.
Isomagnetic Earcup to Earpad Coupling Technology
An innovative feature is the Isomagnetic ear cup attachment which utilizes the demagnetizing field generated by the driver to hold the ear cup in place whilst also redirecting the magnetic field back into the driver and improving driver efficiency.
New Angled Alcantara Ear Pads
These earpads are designed to enhance the acoustic personality of your Elite, revealing new, exciting sound nuances. The angled shape creates more space inside the ear pad, which translates to an airier sound signature, with cleaner bass and improved presence in the mid-range frequency. Made of soft memory foam coated with Alcantara, with a fine protective mesh on the grill, the angled ear pads provide increased wearing comfort for most ear shapes.
Stray Field Reduction from Isomagnetic Plate Coupling
Patented ferromagnetic plates channel the demagnetizing field back into the driver increasing efficiency by 1db or 12% and deflect 95% of stray fields away from the head.
Isodynamic Driver Manufactured by Rinaro
Each driver has been hand-assembled and tested in an industrial facility in Ukraine.
Pressure Distributing Wings
Suspension wings increase the leather headrest’s contact surface area with your head and relieve uncomfortable pressure points, offering additional comfort, even when used for a longer period of time. This revolutionary patent-pending concept sets a new standard in combining true natural sound with the enjoyment of wearing your favorite headphone for hours on end.
Lightweight Carbon / Aluminum Skeleton
- Carbon Fiber Headband
- Leather Headrest
- Sculpted Aluminum Skeleton. CNC milling time: 20 hours
- High precision CNC sculpted chassis, milled from a single piece of solid aluminum. Weight: 15.16 oz. (430 g)
CNC milled aluminum grill ensures natural sound transparency and is a work of art in its own right.
Designed and Engineered in Baia, Romania
For the audiophiles who want to hear how 30 years of progression sound like, Empyrean pairs the advances in audio reproduction with a headphone chassis that delivers extended hours of listening pleasure.
A core belief of Meze is to create products that last. The Empyrean is no different: from the replaceable earpads to the high-performance materials used, every part on the headphone chassis is available to be serviced and disassembled by our skilled team.