PM8005 Integrated Amplifier
Combining fully discrete current feedback circuitry and our exclusive HDAM technology, the Marantz PM8005 integrated stereo amplifier delivers audiophile grade sound quality along with system operational flexibility. Rated at 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms, the PM8005 features a robust power supply along with high current capability to deliver 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms, for compatibility and operational stability with the widest range of loudspeakers.
The versatile pre-amp section features 6 line level inputs including a phono (MM) input, and the PM8005 also includes pre-amp outputs along with a power amp direct input, which lets you use the unit as a standalone power amplifier for integration into a multi-channel home theater system. For precise sound tailoring, the PM8005 features our triple tone control system, with separate controls for the bass, midrange and treble segments. The elegant remote control features an ergonomic layout for easy operation, and includes the ability to control our companion SA8005 disc player and one of our network players.
Marantz HDAM Technology
- The PM8005 features our exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) technology, which consists of precision discrete selected circuit elements on a compact sub-board, instead of conventional op-amp integrated circuits. Multiple HDAM units are employed, including HDAM-SA3 and HDAM-SA2 versions that provide gain and buffering functions, to deliver dynamic and detailed sound quality. The PM8005 features current feedback technology for ultra-low distortion and wideband response, along with superb musicality.
High Current Power Supply
- The robust power supply features a high current toroidal main power transformer that is rated at 625VA, to easily provide extra power to the amplifier stage in order to handle demanding short term peaks. High current Shottky barrier diodes in the rectification stage are rated at 20 amps, with the ability to handle up to 180 amps peak current, providing sufficient power reserve to handle virtually any loudspeaker load.
Fully Discrete High Current Output Stages
- The PM8005 is equipped with multiple high speed, high current power output devices that are each rated at 14 amps of current output capability, providing a very high amount of dynamic headroom, along with compatibility with lower impedance loudspeakers. For optimum heat dissipation, the PM8005 is equipped with solid aluminum power amplifier heat sinks, with a combined total radiating area of 326 square inches, eliminating the need for fans. The PM8005 is conservatively rated at 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms, for compatibility with the widest range of loudspeakers.
Solid Chassis Construction
- For the utmost stability and protection from induced vibrations, the PM8005 features a rugged chassis design, which includes a triple layer bottom plate. To eliminate distortion from stray magnetic fields, the high current toroidal main power transformer features double shielding.
Versatile Pre-Amplifier Functions
- There are 6 line level inputs, to handle a wide range of sources, including a dedicated phono input (MM) that features discrete topology to deliver the utmost fidelity from your favorite vinyl recordings, and all inputs and outputs are gold-plated for optimum signal transfer. The Source Direct function bypasses unnecessary circuit blocks for the straightest path from input to the speaker terminals. Pre-amp outputs let you connect a separate stereo power amplifier for a bi-amp loudspeaker system, or for playback in a separate room. The power amp direct input lets you connect the PM8005 to another component, such as a surround sound processor, for integration within a multi-channel home theater system.
- For precision tonal balancing, we've equipped the PM8005 with our Tri-Tone control system, with separate tone controls for the bass, midrange and treble bands, which lets you fine tune the spectral balance to your preference, and is especially useful with older recordings that suffer from tonal imbalance.
Audiophile Grade Loudspeaker Terminals
- Equipped with premium audiophile grade loudspeaker terminals that are designed to accept a wide range of speaker cable termination types, the PM8005 also features A/B speaker switching for increased system configuration flexibility.
System Remote Control
- The elegant, ergonomically designed remote control is equipped with additional functionality, which lets you control a companion Marantz disc player (such as our SA8005) and a Marantz network audio player. Remote control input and output jacks let you directly connect the PM8005 to other Marantz components for easy system control.
- D-Bus Remote (RC-5) In/Out: 1/1
- THD: 0.02% (20Hz – 20kHz, 2 channel driven, 8 ohms load)
- Input Sensitivity/Impedance: PHONO:MM:2mV/47k ohms, LINE:200mV/20k ohms
- Frequency Response: 5Hz – 100kHz ±3dB (CD, 1W, 8 ohms load)
- S/N Ratio: PHONO:MM:87dB, LINE:106dB, DIRECT IN: 125dB
- Number of Channels: 2
- Output Power: 70W (8 ohms), 100W (4 ohms)
- HDAM: Yes
- Power Transformer: Shielded Toroidal Transformer
- Current Feedback Amplifier: Yes
- Speaker Terminal: Marantz SPKT-1
- Tone Control: (Bass: 50Hz +/10dB, Mid: 900Hz +/6dB, Treble: 15kHz +/10dB)
- Source Direct: Yes
- Speaker A/B: Yes
- Color: Black
- Front Panel: Aluminum/Glass-reinforced resin
- Remote Control: Marantz System Remote Controller
- Power Requirement: AC 120V 60Hz
- Power Consumption: 220W (Standby: 0.2W)
- Dimensions W x H x D (inches): 17.3" x 5.04" x 14.92"
- Weight (lbs): 26.44 lbs.