KLH Story Center Channel Speaker Overview
Named after a street in Cambridge, Mass., the Story Center Channel Speaker indeed has a tale to tell. KLH, one of the most hallowed nameplates in the history of home audio, was purchased by longtime industry execs in early 2017. And the brand returns with a full line of new-design speakers – and a rededication to the company’s mission to deliver audiophile excellence at affordable prices. If you are building a home theater, the Story center channel meshes perfectly with KLH’s full line of floorstanding or bookshelf speakers and surrounds. It shares the same custom-designed woofer/midrange drivers of woven Kevlar and 1” anodized aluminum dome tweeter, as well as similar crossover circuitry of the highest-quality components. With solid, sturdy MDF cabinetry of real black oak veneer, and a bass port that adjusts to the speaker’s position in the room, this crucial cinematic component cements dialog and effects exactly where they should be, so you hear and feel every moment of your favorite film.
- Designed in USA and engineered of premium materials
- Two-way ported bass reflex center channel speaker
- Adjustable rear port loading
- Dual 5-1/4 inch woven Kevlar low/midrange drivers with die-cast aluminum baskets and oversize magnets
- 1-inch anodized aluminum tweeter with linear response faceplate
- Brushed aluminum fascia around tweeter and drivers
- MDF construction with low resonance braced individual speaker chambers
- Custom crossover circuitry with top-quality components
- Nickel plated five-way binding posts
- Real black oak wood veneer
- Snap-on magnetic grille with no visible fasteners
- Dimensions: 7” high by 19” wide by 9.25” deep
- Weight: 16 lbs.
- Warranty: An exceptional 10 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
From the heartland, from the heart
The new KLH, located in the USA’s heartland – Noblesville, Indiana – pays homage to the brand by building incredible value into every speaker. The Story combines superior materials – woven Kevlar cones with die-cast aluminum baskets, anodized aluminum tweeter dome, brushed aluminum faceplates, MDF cabinetry with real wood veneer, nickel-plated binding posts, top-quality crossover components – with decades of engineering and design experience, to deliver a center channel speaker that looks as good as it sounds, sounds better than some far more expensive competitors, and feels right at home front-and-center in the finest home theaters.
Tough, solid drivers …
To match the sonic signature of other speakers in the new KLH line, the Story sports dual 5.25-inch low/midrange drivers of Kevlar for strength and stiffness. They’re suspended via flexible, durable butyl rubber, in powder-coated, die-cast aluminum baskets with extra powerful magnets for efficiency. The 1-inch dome anodized aluminum tweeter is designed for crystal clarity, linear response and maximum dispersion.
… Working in perfect harmony
Custom circuitry of the highest-grade components controls the drivers for smooth crossover response, and separate braced internal cabinets help minimize driver interference. The bass ports come with room tuning stops to reduce low-frequency output when placed close to a rear wall. Braided tinsel wiring connects it all together, and together the package offers flat (+/- 3dB) response up to 23kHz, so you clearly hear every whisper.
Looks great, covered or uncovered
The cabinet is finished in genuine black oak veneer. And the magnetic clasps for the attractive honeycomb grille are designed to be invisible, so if you prefer to show off your equipment sans grille, the Story’s fully finished front panel with brushed aluminum speaker faceplates will happily oblige.
The new KLH is so confident that you will continue to enjoy its products for a long time that it offers an unheard-of 10-year warranty on its entire line.
A brief history of sound
Back in the 1950s and early ’60s, a band of engineers revolutionized the audio world and ushered in the golden age of high fidelity. Among them, possibly the most warmly remembered is Henry Kloss, the K of KLH. An inveterate tinkerer and serial entrepreneur, he started such influential companies as AR, Advent, Cambridge Soundworks and Tivoli Audio. Kloss is credited with introducing influential innovations from acoustic suspension speakers to Dolby recorders. To honor his memory and dedication to the highest fidelity in all his products, the revamped KLH has named its new speaker line for streets on and around Kloss’ beloved Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus in Cambridge, Mass.
- 2x 5.25" woven Kevlar bass/mid drivers
- 1" anodized aluminum tweeter
- 5-way binding post
- Frequency response: 60Hz - 23kHz
- Sensitivity: 90dB
- Power handling: 150W
- Impedance: 8Ω
- Crossover points: 600Hz and 2.4kHz
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 8.125" x 19" x 9.25"
- Weight: 18 lbs.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Story Center Channel Speaker
- Power cord