The Flax Collection from Focal
When the flax-series was introduced to the car audio community, it showed how creative Focal can be. The PS 165 F 6-1/2” 2-way car component speakers not only sound great, they also contain some prized Focal technologies and innovations that has served the French manufacturer so well over the years. You need to hear them to believe them. Or you could just take our word for it.
Getting the Details Just Right
High frequency response is handled by a pair of 1” aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeters. This metallic blend allows the tweeters to hit ultra-high frequencies without that “sizzly” sound that accompanies inferior metal tweeters. One other feature of note is the inverted dome nature of the tweeter. This helps the tweeter send the high frequencies in a wider pattern in comparison to other tweeter designs (traditional dome tweeters, for example). You’re going to hear more detail pretty much regardless of where the tweeters are mounted.
Flax Woofer Cones
In Focal’s quest to find a lower-cost solution to the aramid fiber woofers found in the ES 165 KX2, they found flax. Flax is a naturally-occurring, hollow-tubed material that is exceptionally strong and lightweight. The flax woofer cone is sandwiched between a pair of ultra-thin glass fiber sheets to help improve rigidity and performance. You’ll enjoy clean, uncolored sound from these ground-breaking woofers. They also feature a phase plug planted in the middle of the woofer to help eliminate standing waves that can disrupt accurate sound reproduction.
PS 165 F Highlights:
- 2-way component speaker kit comprised of two 1” tweeters, two 6-1/2” woofers, and two crossovers
- Flax cone woofers for natural-sounding mid-range and bass response
- Aluminum/Magnesium blend inverted dome tweeters for stunning high-frequency response
- Rubber surround for long-lasting performance
- A pair of crossover networks featuring tweeter level (0, -3dB) adjustments to dial in the perfect sound/imaging
- Warranty: 1 year
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
- Diameter: 6.5" (165mm)
- Voice-Coil Diameter: 1" (25mm)
- Voice-Coil Height: 15mm
- Magnet: 3-1/3" (85mm)
- Tweeter: Processed Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome
- Separate Crossover: 12-12dB/oct.
- Adjustable Tweeter Level: 0; -3dB/oct.
- Max Power: 140W
- Nominal Power: 70W
- Sensitivity: 91.6dB
- Frequency Response: 60Hz - 28kHz
- Accessories: Supplied grilles
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- One pair of woofers
- One pair of tweeters
- One pair of crossovers
- One pair of woofer grilles w/ mounting rings
- 2 woofer gaskets
- 2 tweeter flush mount cups
- 2 tweeter surface mount cups
- Mounting hardware
- Owner's manual