Etymotic Research ER3XR In-Ear Headphones Overview
With a heritage based in the world of diagnostic hearing measurement and protection, Etymotic (et-im-oh-tik) Research’s lines of in-ear phones are among the most precise and revealing on the market today. They are so accurate, says a reviewer, that they “peel back the layers of every song” to reveal the most subtle nuances. The ER3XR’s tips have multiple flanges to maximize noise isolation; replaceable filters smooth the frequency response while protecting the drivers. Multiple eartips offer long-wearing comfort, top build quality ensures long life, and high efficiency means nearly any portable player can drive the ER3. The “extended range” ER3XR adds a bit of bass boost for warmer, less analytical audio – but if you’re an audio professional (or just a perfectionist), check out Etymotic’s otherwise-identical studio version, the ER3SE.
- Triple-flanged for maximum noise isolation
- Professional-grade reproduction with low-end augmentation
- Balanced armature micro-drivers for ultra-accurate audio
- Highest sensitivity in class to get the most out of any device
- Precision-machined metal bodies
- Replaceable filters smooth and protect drivers
- Comes with filters, filter tool, assortment of tips and carrying pouch
- Warranty: Two years parts and labor – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Best noise isolation on the market
The triple-flange design of the ear tips sits more securely in the ear canal, and is designed to trap external noise and distractions. It does so with the most effective passive noise reduction on the market – specified at 35 to 42 dB of isolation.
Micro-drivers offer a revelatory experience
Etymotic, founded in 1983 in Illinois, got its start in audiometric testing equipment and hearing aids. That heritage carries through in the ER3XR, with professional-grade, balanced-armature drivers to deliver ultra-fast and accurate response without generating extra air pressure. They’re incredibly efficient, and safe for long-term listening at reasonable levels. (But note, you should never listen too loud for too long from any source.)
Built to last
The ER3XR’s precision-machined metal bodies and anodized finish are designed for long life. The 4-foot cable with gold-plated 3.5mm plug is reinforced and detachable for portability and easy replacement. And unique tiny replaceable filters protect the micro-drivers from dirt and damage while helping to smooth the frequency response.
Ready to roll
The ER3XR is fully equipped right out of the box. You get a set of replacement filters, a filter replacement tool, an assortment of isolating ear tips to best fit your anatomy, a shirt clip and a convenient carrying case to pack it all along. And, as we noted earlier, if you prefer your music with a little less oomph and a little more accuracy, give a listen to Etymotic’s otherwise-identical ER3SE.
- Frequency response: 20Hz - 16kHz
- Transducers: High-performance, balanced armature micro-drivers
- Noise isolation: 35-42dB
- Impedance (@1kHz): 22 ohms
- Sensitivity (@1kHz) SPL at 0.1v: 102dB
- Maximum output (SPL): 120dB
- Cable: Detachable, 4 feet
- Custom-fit option
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- ER3XR Studio Edition In-Ear Headphones
- Assortment of ear tips
- Filter removal tool
- Replacement filters