The Most Advanced Technologies for the Most Advanced Performance
Each SM 65 features a D'Appolito array consisting of two cast-basket 5-1/4" (13cm) second generation BDSS midrange drivers surrounding a 1" (25mm) pure aluminum dome tweeter. The drivers feature Definitive's patented Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) technology that supports the speaker cone at both the inner and outer edges allowing longer, more linear excursion for greater clarity and finely textured inner detail. A new patent pending Linear Response WaveguideTM smoothes off-axis frequency response and disperses sound over a wider area for crystal clear intelligibility for every listener in the room. The tweeter is a pure aluminum dome, which has been heat-treated to relax the crystal structure and then coated with a ceramic to produce extended highs that reveal nuance and shimmer without a trace of edginess.
The twin BDSS long-throw bass/midrange drivers are pressure coupled to a top mounted racetrack bass radiator to extend and amplify bass frequencies. The total bass radiating area of a SM65 is equivalent to a single 12-inch woofer but with far greater control, definition and speed than a single sluggish large woofer. The StudioMonitor's bass performance is nothing short of astonishing in its depth, detail and musicality.
Slim Elegant Styling with Rambo-Like Brawn
The specially shaped high gloss baffle around the drivers and the tapered enclosure sides enhance sound quality by minimizing diffraction distortion. The enclosure's most important job is to be totally inert and resonance free so as not to color the sound. And that's just we did in engineering the SM enclosures. Internal MDF cross braces further stiffen the system. Tap on the side panel of a StudioMonitor 65 enclosure to hear the solid "thud" of a solid, well-damped cabinet instead of the hollow ring of a poorly constructed speaker.
Phase-Coherent Crossover NetworksThe crossover network is the real heart of a loudspeaker as it is responsible for perfectly blending together the sound of the various drivers into a musically seamless whole. The sophisticated design used in the SM65 features premium audiophile-grade components such as oversized inductors, Mylar capacitors for linear phase and frequency response. An integrated Zobel network flattens the impedance of the system so that even budget amplifiers will be able to drive the SM65 (although a premium amplifier will bring out all the performance this remarkable speaker has to offer). This preserves the phase coherence, transient response and dynamic integrity of the signal for absolutely lifelike music and home theater reproduction in your home.
The Proof is in the ListeningThis extraordinary speaker sets a new reference standard for high-accuracy loudspeakers in its class and achieves equally superb performance with both music and movies. The StudioMonitor 65 reproduces a silky smooth, incredibly detailed sonic image at lifelike volume levels with a sense of ease which is truly remarkable. Movies and music are reproduced with unequaled purity, transparency and lifelike realism.
- Second generation patented 5-1/4" BDSS mid/bass drivers with Linear Response Waveguide technology for flat, accurate response with micro-detail retrieval and three-dimensional imaging
- Cast aluminum driver baskets
- Second generation pure aluminum dome tweeter for smooth, extended highs
- Non-resonant braced enclosure ensures pure, uncolored performance
- High-gloss anti-diffraction baffle and shaped enclosure reduce diffraction for open and spacious imaging
- Top-mounted racetrack bass radiator for outstanding bass response
- Crossover network features oversize inductors and premium Mylar capacitors for audiophile-grade sound quality
- Integrated Zobel network makes the SM65 easy for amplifiers to drive
- Bi-amp/bi-wire all-metal 5-way binding posts
- Sensitivity: 92 dB
- Frequency Response: 30 Hz- 30 kHz
- Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
- Height: 16 1/2" (41.91cm)
- Width: 7 7/8" (20.00cm)
- Depth: 15 1/8" (38.42cm)