Cambridge Audio CXA 80 Integrated Amplifier Overview
Cambridge Audio’s CXA 80 Integrated Amplifier is a beefed-up version of the company’s popular CXA 60 model, loaded with more power and features to drive your hi-fi system. Much like its sibling, the CXA 80 is built with Cambridge Audio’s “sound first” mission in mind, a philosophy that’s forged the company’s amazing array of stereo-centric gear. Whether you’re sourcing music from a tape deck or putting the amp’s top shelf DAC to use, the CXA 80 offers a variety on inputs to handle any analog or digital connection. Add high-quality componentry, separate channel power supplies, as well as both asynchronous USB and XLR connectivity, and you have the perfect anchor for a serious 2-channel system.
- Power output: 80 watts (8 ohms)
- Max power consumption: 750 watts
- Frequency response: <5Hz – 60kHz +/-1dB
- Analog inputs: 1xBalanced XLR, 4xRCA, 1x3.5mm minijack
- Digital inputs: 1xS/PDIF coaxial, 2xTOSLINK optical, 1xUSB, 1xUSB (Type B),
- Outputs: speakers A+B, 3.5mm headphone, preamp output, subwoofer output
- Dual mono amp design for excellent stereo separation
- Oversized toroidal transformer and symmetrically separated heat sinks / circuit paths for minimal cross-channel interference
- Hi-Fi Wolfson WM8740 digital-to-analog converter
- Support for Bluetooth functionality (requires optional BT100 dongle)
- Headphone jack for discrete listening sessions
- 8 speaker posts for 2 pairs of speakers
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.5” x 16.9” x 13.4”
- Weight: 19.1 lbs
- Warranty: 2 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Power when it’s needed
Take one look under the hood and it’s evident the CXA 80 is designed for high-end performance. Much like the CXA 60, it features a centrally positioned oversized toroidal transformer surrounded by extruded heat sinks, carefully placed to avoid heat transfer to sensitive preamp circuitry. The CXA 80’s transformer, however, has an added 50% volt-amp capacity for instant power to satisfy the most demanding dynamics of your favorite songs.
The CXA 80’s highly efficient Class A/B amp delivers 80 watts per channel, giving it the power to pair with demanding speakers in larger setups. And because the amp configuration employs a dual mono design with symmetrical and separate taps, twin rectifiers, and separate PSUs, it delivers stunning stereo imaging. Add to the mix Wolfson’s elite-grade WM8740 digital-to-analog converter and an internal PCB layout that minimizes stereo channel crosstalk, and the CX A80 delivers an audio purity that’s hard to beat.
Aside from enough RCA inputs to handle external sources like an AM/FM tuner or cassette deck, the CXA 80 also offers the superior performance of balanced XLR inputs for connectivity with audiophile grade gear. And for digital content, it provides both coaxial and optical digital inputs, in addition to an asynchronous USB input that supports playback of 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res files direct from a computer or laptop. And if you’re like us, you’ll want to play music stored on your favorite smartphone or handheld device; simply plug it into the front mounted 3.5mm minjack or purchase Cambridge’s USB-compatible BT100 Bluetooth Audio Receiver Dongle for high-quality AptX Bluetooth streaming of your favorite music and streaming services.
Control your sound
The CXA 80 features easy-access treble and bass controls that allow you to tune sound output to your liking. And if you’re looking for an audio boost, simply connect a subwoofer to the Sub Out or divert stereo output to an even more powerful external amplifier using the supplied RCA preamp outs.
The perfect match
Because the CXA 80 has a wide range of digital and analog inputs, you can add a number of different external source components to create a true Hi-Fi system of separates. Take, for example, Cambridge Audio’s CXC CD Player Transport or the versatile CXN V2 Network Streamer, both which combine to offer access to limitless digital entertainment.
- Power output: 80W RMS into 8 ohms, 120W RMS into 4 ohms
- DAC: Wolfson WM8740
- Frequency response: <5Hz - 60kHz +/-1dB
- Analogue audio inputs: 1x balanced XLR, 4x RCA, 1x 3.5mm Mp3 input (front panel)
- Digital audio inputs: 1x S/PDIF coaxial, 2x TOSLINK optical, 1x USB audio
- Outputs: Speakers A + B, 3.5mm headphone, preamp output, subwoofer output
- Maximum power consumption: 750W
- Standby power consumption: <0.5W
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.5" x 16.9" x 13.4"
- Weight: 19.1 lbs.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- CXA 80 Integrated Amplifier
- Power supply