Cambridge Audio Azur 851C Overview
Cambridge Audio’s Azur 851C Upsampling DAC, CD Player, and Preamplifier carries enough tech to anchor any exceptional stereo system, triple-loaded with a specialized CD player, dual hi-fi digital-to-analog converters, and versatile preamp functionality. You can use it to spin your favorite music discs or tap audio from just about any external digital music source, including network music players and computers. And with precision onboard audio processing technologies, rest assured the 851C will expose every glorious detail contained in your favorite tracks.
- 2 channels
- Impedance rating: <50ohms
- Connectivity with a wide range of digital audio sources
- Hi-Fi audio processing backed by 2nd generation Adaptive Time Filtering and dual AD1955 DACs
- Digital preamp functionality with onboard DSP volume and balance controls
- All-metal chassis built to resist external vibrations
- Digital outputs: 2xS/PDIF coaxial, 2xTOSLINK optical
- Analog outputs: 1xBalanced XLR, 1xRCA
- Single disc playback
- Compatible discs: CD, CD-R, CD-RW
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.5” x 16.9” x 14.7”
- Weight: 22 lbs
- Warranty: 2 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Audiophile grade CD playback
At its most basic level, the Azur 851C is a top-flight CD player that sheds broad file compatibility to focus on one thing: making your music sound phenomenal. Utilizing Cambridge Audio’s exclusive topline S3 Servo drive system, the 851C is specifically engineered to spin discs at speeds necessary to read music CDs. And because of this singular functionality, you’re guaranteed class-leading retrieval of your music’s data without error while minimizing jitter and distortion.
Boost your audio with hi-fi processing
Once received, your favorite track’s digital bits are processed by Cambridge Audio’s second generation Adaptive Time Filtering system. All files, including true CD quality sound, are upsampled to 24bit/384kHz Hi-Res perfection. This interpolation process, developed in conjunction with Anagram Technologies, utilizes a 32-bit Analog Devices Black Fin DSP to buffer and re-clock data, removing jitter and honing your music’s purity.
The 851C employs two Analog Devices AD1955 24-bit digital-to-analog converters deployed in a dual differential mode. Because each chip operates independently, your ears will be treated to pinpoint stereo imaging. And the balanced nature of the configuration rejects any remaining audio noise, lending to incredibly accurate playback.
If tweaking is your thing, the 851C presents three different filter functions – Linear Phase, Minimum Phase, and Steep – that can be selected to suit your particular listening tastes.
Tap your favorite digital music sources
Just because the 851C is billed as a CD player doesn’t mean you’re limited to music contained on discs. Using the player’s 24-bit digital inputs and isochronous Type B USB port, you can tap digital audio from network audio systems, computers (including PCs and Macs), smartphone docks – even your TV! – giving you access to a range of file types like MP3s and Hi-Res audio.
Connect directly to any power amplifier
The 851C is more than just a CD player and digital music processor, it’s a preamplifier too! That means the player can be used to control volume and balance levels when connected to powered speakers or a powered amp. Simply use the player’s XLR or RCA outputs to take advantage of the 851C’s unique digital volume control that’s designed to keep signal quality intact.
Built like a tank
Cambridge Audio’s all-new 8-Series casework and dual-layered damped feet mean serious business when it comes to resisting sound-damaging vibrations and external contaminations. And the 851C’s internals are further protected by an audiophile grade toroidal transformer that delivers power with ultra-low noise and distortion.
Matched for perfection
Because the 851C is part of Cambridge Audio’s Azur Series, the company’s Azur 851A Class XD Integrated Amplifier is the perfect match for creating an amazing Hi-Fi system. Harnessing 120 watts per channel (2 channels, 8 ohms), you can pair the two components using balanced XLR cables for a stable low-noise connection. The 851A features the same solid build quality found on the 851C, while offering incredibly clean power and the ability to drive just about any large room system.
- Digital to analogue converters: Dual analog devices AD1955 24-bit DACs
- Digital filter: Analog devices black fin ADSP-BF532 32-bit DSP performing 2nd generation ATF2 upsampling
- Analogue filter: 2 pole fully differential linear phase Bessel filter
- Digital input 1: S/PDIF 75 ohms or TosLink optical
- Digital input 2: S/PDIF 75 ohms or TosLink optical
- AES/EBU input: XLR balanced 110 ohms per phase
- USB audio input: USB type B conforming to Audio profile 1.0 or 2.0 (user selectable)
- Audio outputs: Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analogue audio outputs
- Unweighted @ 1kHz 0DBFS: < 0.0004%
- Unweighted @ 1kHz 10DBFS: < 0.0004%
- Unweighted @ 1kHz 20DBFS: < 0.0007%
- IMD (19/20kHz) 0DBFS: <0.0002%
- @ -90DBFS: +/- 0.2dB
- @ -120DBF: +/- 0.4dB
- Stop-band rejection: > 120dB
- Total correlated jitter: <60pS for all digital inputs
- @1kHz: < -130dB
- @20kHz: < -114dB
- Output impedance: <50 ohms
- 0DB FS output: 2.2Vrms
- Maximum power consumption: 40W
- Idle consumption: 8W
- Standby power consumption: <0.5W
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 16.9" x 4.5" x 14.7"
- Weight: 22 lbs.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Azur 851C Upsampling DAC, CD Player, and Preamplifier