Cambridge Audio Azur 851A Overview
Cambridge Audio’s Azur 851A is truly at the head of its class, sitting atop the company’s vaunted Integrated Amp model lineup. It’s loaded to the brim with Hi-Fi tech, including audiophile-grade toroidal power transformers, a true monoblock amp design, and a patented cross-platform XD amp design. And its gorgeous exterior exudes everything we love about Cambridge’s elegantly functional robust build quality. With 120 watts per channel, the 851A is perfectly suited to drive medium and large sized systems with impeccably clean power and pure audio finesse that your ears will love.
- Power output: 120 watts (8 ohms)
- Max power consumption: 800 watts
- Unique XD amplification design for low crossover distortion and efficiency
- Frequency response: 10Hz – 50kHz +/-1dB
- Analog inputs: 2xBalanced XLR, 8xRCA
- Analog outputs: speakers A+B, ¼” headphone, preamp output, RCA record out
- Dual mono amp design for excellent stereo separation
- Oversized toroidal transformer and symmetrically separated heat sinks / circuit paths for minimal cross-channel interference
- Pinpoint volume control paired with customizable input volume levels
- Headphone jack for discrete listening sessions
- 8 speaker posts for 2 pairs of speakers
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.5” x 16.9” x 15.2”
- Weight: 33 lbs
- Warranty: 2 years – World Wide Stereo is an authorized dealer for every brand we sell
- Included: World Wide Stereo 60-day guarantee and expert product support
Premium XD amplifier circuitry
Cambridge Audio’s engineers struck pure gold when they created the Class XD amplifier circuit. XD stands as the perfect balance of Class A’s coveted low distortion and Class AB’s cooler running efficiency, shedding Class A’s inefficiency and heat along with Class AB’s higher level of crossover distortion. Its design allowed Cambridge to budget more R&D into amplification and power supplies, and less into large heat sinks, providing the 851A with outstanding audio capabilities.
The 851A delivers a whopping 120 watts per channel with utter refinement, offering more than enough power for systems occupying medium to large rooms. And with Cambridge’s CAP5 protection circuitry, you can rest assured that your gear is safe and protected in the event the amp clips or is damaged.
Dual toroidal transformers
The 851A houses two distinct toroidal transformers: one oversized transformer with robust extruded heatsinks for the power amplifier stage, and the other for sensitive preamp input circuitry. This separation of power keeps signals free of cross contamination, allowing the 851W to perform optimally even when handling demanding sonic dynamics and high levels of volume.
To further boost performance, the 851A’s left and right channels receive power via two distinct feeds, which lends to an audio show loaded with pinpoint imaging and stereo separation. It’s the performance you’d expect from a true twin monoblock design, competently housed in a robust vibration resistant chassis built to perform as good as it looks.
Loads of connectivity
The 851A’s rear is loaded with connectivity options including eight speaker terminals for independently controlled A and B sets of speakers. You’ll also find dual balanced XLR inputs for use with high-end and pro audio equipment, along with eight sets of RCA inputs for use with a cassette deck, CD player, AM/FM tuner, external DAC, and more!
The 851A’s front mounted reverse black LCD is fully customizable to make source selection simple and quick, and the amp’s Input Gain Trim allows you to set relative volume levels for each input so you’ll never experience loud jumps in volume when between switching sources.
Pinpoint volume control
One simple turn of the 851A’s volume knob deliver super smooth and accurate control over output. Utilizing a newly implemented control topology, the 851A’s volume gradually increases in 1dB steps for extremely fine control. It’s true pinpoint tuning that makes listening sessions precise and exacting.
Create a world-class system
Because the 851A Class XD Integrated Amplifier carries a wide range of analog inputs, you can add a number of different external source components to create an elite system of separates. We suggest taking advantage of the Azur 851N Network Player’s supreme access to digital music, or spinning your favorite discs with the highly versatile Azur 851C Upsampling DAC, CD Player, and Preamplifier. No matter which you choose, the 851A will perfectly synch to deliver an unparalleled sonic experience.
- Power output: 120W RMS into 8 ohms, 200W RMS into 4 ohms
- THD: <0.001% 1kHZ at 80% of rated power 0.01% 20Hz - 20kHz at 80% of rated power
- Audio inputs: 2x balanced XLR, 8x RCA inputs
- Audio outputs: Preamp output record output
- Frequency response: 10Hz - 50kHZ +/-1dB
- S/N ratio: >93dB (ref 1W/8 ohms)
- Input impedance: Inputs 1 and 2 (balanced) 20k-ohm, inputs 1-7 unbalanced 20k-ohm rec input 20k-ohm
- Power amp damping factor: >110 at 1kHz
- Maximum power consumption: 800W
- Minimum power consumption: Active 70W
- Standby power consumption: Standby <0.5W
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 16.9" x 4.5" x 15.2"
- Weight: 33 lbs.
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- Azur 851A Class XD Integrated Amplifier
- Power supply