Questions? We're here to help.
D3 Premium 24-Bit DAC with Headphone Amplifier
The Audioengine D3 Premium 24-bit DAC (digital-to-analog converter) allows you to bypass your computer's headphone output and send music directly through a USB port for noticeably improved fidelity and a higher output. The D3 is a powerful yet portable converter with performance and features usually found in more expensive DACs and is the perfect interface between your computer and headphones or any music system.
- Connect D3 to a USB port on your Mac or PC and send high-quality music to your headphones or any audio system.
- D3 includes a USB DAC and headphone amplifier for incredible audio performance in a portable design.
- Audioengine D3 is the perfect intro to computer audio!
Setup is easy and no special software is needed, making D3 a true plug-and-play solution. The D3 plugs directly into a USB port on your computer so no external power supply or cables are needed. The output of the D3 connects to headphones, Audioengine powered speakers, or any audio system. The D3 also has a sample rate indicator that shows sample rates above 48K so you'll know you're getting the most out of your HD music.
The quality of most computer headphone outputs isn't generally very inspiring, so the D3 provides a better option by streaming audio from your computer's USB port and directly connecting to your music system or headphones. The D3 DAC is the perfect way to get great-sounding music not only from your computer to headphones but also from your computer to any music system.
Designed for Headphone Enthusiasts
D3 will process digital audio at any bit depth up to 24 bits and any native sample rate to 96KHz. With its high signal-to-noise ratio and low distortion, the D3 delivers sound quality generally heard only in more expensive DACs. The high-performance headphone amplifier was designed for a wide range of headphones and will satisfy even the most demanding headphone enthusiast with its high output and revealing sound. The D3's asynchronous data transfer carefully controls USB streaming audio from any computer, which greatly improves audio performance.
See and Hear the Difference
The aluminum case of the D3 reflects traditional Audioengine design and the high-quality components and audio fidelity are typical of Audioengine's commitment to great sound at affordable prices. The Audioengine D3 continues to close the gap between your computer music and home Hi-Fi. Even if you're not an audio enthusiast, Audioengine guarantees your music will sound better!
- Portable USB audio converter for Mac or PC
- Stream bit-perfect native 24/96 HD audio
- High-performance headphone amp included
- Plug-and-play, no drivers or software to install
- Connect headphones or any music system
- Easily drives low impedance headphones
- Computer OS volume control
- Asynchronous data transfer with dual master clocks
- HD indicator for sample rates above 48K
- Metal injection molded (MIM) aluminum case
D3 Internal Converter
The heart of the D3 is the AK4396 DAC, well regarded for its low noise and high fidelity. Due to the high signal-to-noise specs of the AK4396 and the added benefit of double redundancy power source conversion and filtering, the D3 presents impressive low noise and low distortion characteristics. The D3 can process digital audio at any bit depth up to 24 bits and any sample rate up to 192kHz. D3 pads (upsamples) all bit depths internally to 24 bits, thus achieving a higher signal-to-noise ratio.
D3 Headphone Amplifier
The D3 contains a high-performance headphone amplifier based on the LME49726 low-noise amp. This amp is able to provide low-impedance, high-fidelity audio and a 2-volt output, which easily drives a wide range of headphones, including headphones with impedances as low as 12 ohms. The D3’s relay-controlled stereo outputs can also be connected to any system with an analog audio input, such as Audioengine powered speakers, for example.
The D3 is powered directly from the USB bus, and power is passed through two stages of regulation to ensure no USB bus power variations affect the audio quality. This low-noise, low-ripple power supply is located on a separate circuit board for extra isolation and thermal management.
D3 Volume Control
Volume is controlled from the computer’s OS and is implemented in the D3 as a digitally-controlled analog volume control.
- Full-scale output: 0V RMS
- Frequency response: 10Hz-25kHz (+/- 0.5dB)
- SNR: (DC to 20kHz) >110dB
- THD+N: (1kHz FS 96 kS/s) <0.002%
- Crosstalk: -110dB
- USB transfer mode: Asynchronous (dual clock)
- USB device class: Type 1.1 or above
- Input: USB Audio
- Input bit depth: 24-bit (upsampled)
- Input sample rate: 32kHz - 96kHz
- Output: Analog audio mini-jack
- Output impedance : 10 ohms
- Suggested headphone impedance: 12 ohms to 10K ohms
- Headphone amplifier: LME49726
- D/A converter: AKM4396
- USB controller: TI1020B
- Power requirement: USB 5V DC, 200mA
- USB power filtering: 2-stage redundant regulation
- Product dimensions: 5cm x 2cm x 1cm (including USB connector)
- Operating temperature: 32 to 95 degrees F
- Non-operating temp: -4 to 113 degrees F
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
What's in the Box
What's in the Box:
- D3 Premium 24-bit DAC With Headphone Amplifier
- Carry case
- 1/4 headphone adapter cable
- Setup guide
- Product line brochure