Astell&Kern AK380 Hi-Res Portable Music Player With WiFi
Astell&Kern has stayed on the course, offering the truest and most natural sound possible. The new AK380 offers the most authentic sound from any digital music format with enhanced features that are sought-after by Pro-Audio.
Astell&Kern AK380 Hi-Res Portable Music Player Highlights:
- 32bit 384kHz Bit to Bit Playback
- Native DSD (up to 5.6 MHz) Playback
- Parametric EQ with 20-band 0.1dB
- 200 Femto Second VCXO Reference Clock
- Scalable Amp
- DNLA-based AK Connect App
- Metal Touch Sensor Home Button
Astell&Kern AK380 Hi-Res Portable Music Player Features:
32-bit 384kHz bit-to-bit Playback
- All of the AK380’s circuit design including the digital-analog converter (DAC) are ready for 32-bit processing to handle 32-bit music natively.
- Other products have traditionally used sample rate converter (SRC) method down sampling for playback. However, the AK380 is capable of playing back 32-bit, 384 kHz original sound without any down sampling.
- The result is the AK380 plays up to 32-bit, 384 kHz, any 24-bit music files, or double layer DSD 5.6MHz natively, without conversion or compression.
PEQ (Parametric EQ)
- A parametric equalizer (PEQ*1) was implemented in the AK380 to deliver detailed adjustment of the original sound, and an audio digital signal processor (DSP) was added to aid in this process.
- This frees up CPU cycles previously needed for calculating graphic equalizers (GEQ), allowing more detailed and accurate calculations via the dedicated DSP.
- The audio DSP expands the existing 10-band, +/ 0.5 dB graphic equalizer (GEQ*2) to 20-band, +/ 0.1 dB to more precisely adjust the frequency and gain (dB) as well as more accurately specifying the frequency range via Q value adjustments.
***What is Parametric Equalization (PEQ*1)?
- Parametric equalization refers to the ability to increase or decrease the volume within the Q value range. A Q value is a frequency range relative to a selected frequency. The frequency range decreases when the Q value increases and vice versa.
***What is Graphic Equalization (GEQ*2)?
- Graphic equalization divides the audible frequency register into several registers and increases or decreases the level of each register with a volume slider to adjust the respective frequency's characteristics. The switches of the volume slider are connected like a graph to visually determine the frequency characteristics, hence the name "graphic equalizer."
Equipped With a Femto Clock to Deliver True Original Sound
- Astell&Kern implemented a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO) high-precision clock with a reference jitter value of 200 femto seconds*3.
- Femto clocks are commonly used in high-end audio systems, and the clock is measured in high-precision femtosecond units (one quadrillionth of a second).
***What is VCXO?
- A VCXO, or a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator, is a type of crystal oscillation device that creates oscillation frequencies. External environmental stimuli, which in this case mean voltage inputs, influence the frequency value. Adjustments to the voltage input tunes a precise frequency value.
***What is Jitter?
- Jitter refers to the undesired deviation in time that occurs in a periodic signal. In this case, jitter is the error that occurs in the reference clock required to perform the sampling in digital audio equipment.
- By utilizing a femto clock, the AK380 is able to create a more accurate frequency value and make fine jitter corrections.
- As a result, the AK380 faithfully reproduces analog sound closer than ever to the original source when transmitting a digital signal as an analog signal.
AK Connect App
- Astell&Kern has further enhanced DLNA functionality via the AK Connect app.
- Wireless networking DLNA (version 1.0) connects to a NAS or PC, and is easily controlled with a smartphone or tablet through AK Connect.
- Source files on a PC or NAS can be freely transferred and streamed without the hassle of turning on the computer and physically connecting with a cable.
- If on the same access point (AP) network, music files on a PC or NAS can be played back via DLNA.
Pressure-sensitive Metal Capacitive Touch
- The AK380 is the first Astell&Kern product to utilize a metal capacitive touch interface. The pressure-sensitive Metal Touch home button responds to fine pressure changes so users operate the device with just a light touch on the metallic pad.
Astell&Kern AK380 Hi-Res Portable Music Player Specifications:
- Model: AK380
- Body Color: Meteoric Titan
- Body Material: Aircraft Grade Duralumin
- Display: 4inch WVGA (480 x 800) Touchscreen
- Supported Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- Sample rate: PCM : 8kHz ~ 384kHz (8/16/24/32bits per Sample) / DSD Native: DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo/ DSD128(1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
- Output Level: Unbalance 2.2Vrms / Balance 2.3Vrms (Condition No Load)
- DAC: AKM AK4490 x2 (Dual DAC)
- Decoding: Support up to 32bit / 384kHz Bit to Bit Decoding
- Input: USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)
- Outputs: PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth: V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP)
- Dimensions: 3.14 ”(79.8 mm) [W] x 4.42 ”(112.4 mm) [H] x 0.70 ”(17.9 mm) [D]
- Weight: 8.11 oz (230 g)
- Feature Enhancements: Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response: 0.053dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalance & Balance, 0.56dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Unbalance / ±0.55dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Balance
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 116dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 117dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- Crosstalk: 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 135dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- THD+N: 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0007% @ 1kHz, Balance
- IMD SMPTE: 0.0007% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balance
- Output Impedance: Balanced out 2.5mm (1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm (2ohm)
- Clock Jitter: 30ps(Typ)
- Reference Clock Jitter: 200 Femto Seconds
- Capacity: 3,400mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
- Built-in Memory: 256GB [NAND]
- External Memory: microSD (Max 128GB) x1
- Supported OS: Windows XP, Windows 7,8 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up