A New Approach to Music
Astell&Kern has been relentlessly searching for just the right raw material to complement sound. Stainless steel has given them unwavering strength. Duralumin, a material used in aircraft, has given them high rigidity and light weight. Aluminum has given them excellent wear resistance.
They selected copper as the principal raw material for the newest variant of the AK380 to convey the message that this is more than just a medium for transmitting music - it's an “instrument”.
Witness the birth of a new instrument - The AK380 Copper.
A&K AK380 Copper High-Resolution Music Player Features:
When Music Becomes More Than Just Sound
- Copper, as an alloy with tin, nickel, or zinc, is used as a raw material for wind instruments, which form the central part of an orchestra. These wind instruments transmit deep and heavy sounds through tubes of copper alloys. Sound with a sense of depth. Sound with a sense of weight. Sound with a greater balance.
- In addition, copper is the second most electrically conductive metal after silver. With superior electrical conductivity and shielding performance than typical metals, the AK380 Copper is able to deliver a different sound signature than the existing duralumin-based AK380.
- AK380 Copper is finished in a two-step process using a 5-axis milling machine, and approximately four hours of processing time is required per unit.
- Due to the highly-ductile nature of copper, the shavings tend to curl inwards rather than out when creating thread lines, causing the ends of milling tools to become damaged or broken. Because of this finicky nature of copper, the material requires more hands-on labor by an operator compared to other materials such as aluminum.
- Uncoated raw copper quickly oxidizes from exposure to outside elements, which makes mass production very difficult to manage.
- Fully processed copper is approximately 3.2 times greater in metal weight when compared to duralumin. While a 530-gram block of raw material is milled to create the 55-gram frame of a duralumin-based AK380, a 1.7-kilogram block of copper is processed to create the 175-gram frame of an AK380 Copper.
- After two stages of milling, the finishing process begins to smooth the surface of the product and create a hairline-brushed finish. The finishing process requires 30 minutes to an hour for a skilled worker.
- To prevent oxidation, the AK380 Copper requires more time and effort in the final coating process than any other Astell&Kern series product. To maintain the raw, natural feel of copper, numerous tests were conducted using a variety of antioxidant materials. As a result, they were able to hone in on the optimum processing time for each stage of the coating process.
- Anti-oxidation coating is completed in a four-stage process. Skilled workers continually monitor the processing time at each stage of coating.
Wrapping the AK380 Copper in Natural Leather
- The leather case for the AK380 Copper is made of a natural type of leather known as V1, which is produced in Turkey and used by many leading luxury brands.
- The V1 is generally used in the making of handles, wallet interiors, and accessories, representing the highest quality in natural leather. It’s most famously used for the handles of Louis Vuitton bags. Unlike other brands that apply a coating on the surface of the leather, the case for the AK380 Copper is not finished with a surface coating in a rather difficult production process to truly capture the unique personality and characteristics of the user.
- The AK380 Copper's leather case maintains the same color for the first six months of use and tans gradually depending on the use, care, and style of the user. Generally, the color in the vegetable tanning of leather is determined by the additive. The chestnut component used in the AK380 Copper's V1 leather case results in a caramel color.
- The V1 is produced by the Sepiciler Caybasi tannery in Turkey. The Sepici tannery was founded in 1930 before the leather industry had yet taken shape in Turkey. The company started with leather caps and uppers of lambskin shoes and eventually grew into a successful company in the Yesildere region, being renamed to the Sepici and Sons Collective Company.
- The history of the Sepici tannery is intertwined with the founding of the Republic of Turkey and later became incorporated, evolving along with the country's industrialization. The company celebrated its heyday in the 1970s under the name Sepici Caybasi Leather Ind., Inc.
- The company soon grew into the largest of its kind in Turkey and was selected as the best tannery for 10 consecutive years since 2003. It is now one of the most successful tanneries in the global leather market.
A&K AK380 Copper High-Resolution Music Player Features:
- Model: AK380 Copper
- Body Color: Copper
- Body Material: Copper
- Display: 4inch WVGA (480 x 800) Touchscreen
- Supported Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- Sample rate: PCM : 8kHz ~ 384kHz (8/16/24/32bits per Sample) / DSD Native: DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128(1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo / DSD256(1bit 11.2MHz), Stereo
- Output Level: Unbalance 2.2Vrms / Balance 2.3Vrms (Condition No Load)
- DAC: AKM AK4490 x2 (Dual DAC)
- Decoding: Support up to 32bit / 384kHz Bit to Bit Decoding
- Input: USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)
- Outputs: PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth: V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX)
- Dimensions: 3.14 ”(79.8 mm) [W] x 4.42 ”(112.4 mm) [H] x 0.70 ”(17.9 mm) [D]
- Weight: 12.35 oz (350 g)
- Feature Enhancements: Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response: ±0.053dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalance & Balance, ±0.56dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Unbalance / ±0.55dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Balance
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 116dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 117dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- Crosstalk: 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 135dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- THD+N: 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0007% @ 1kHz, Balance
- IMD SMPTE: 0.0007% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balance
- Output Impedance: Balanced out 2.5mm (1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm (2ohm)
- Clock Jitter: 30ps(Typ)
- Reference Clock Jitter: 200 Femto Seconds
- Capacity: 3,400mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
- Built-in Memory: 256GB [NAND]
- External Memory: microSD (Max 128GB) x1
- Supported OS: Windows XP, Windows 7,8,10 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up