The changing roles of HiFi equipment mean that audio systems themselves are changing shape. The increasing number of products with integrated preamplifiers mean that many customers are searching for an equally convenient speaker to connect them to. Taking full advantage of Acoustic Energy’s considerable experience in the field of active speakers, the AE1 Active is designed to deliver this convenience without trading performance. The AE1 Active is a two-way bookshelf speaker with integrated class A/B amplification and fully active filter networks. Featuring Acoustic Energy’s legendary pure piston ceramic aluminum cone technology, it has all the refinement and impact you would expect from the original AE1 housed within a self-powered, fully active package. The speakers also feature Acoustic Energy’s proprietary aluminum dome tweeter with their unique WDT waveguide for improved coverage and room integration. The AE1 Active is equally comfortable in the home or the recording studio. With the added benefit of adjustable bass and treble and a choice of RCA or balanced XLR connections, this speaker blends seamlessly into any listening environment.
- 2x50 watt Linear Supply Class A/B amplifiers per speaker
- Fully analog architecture
- Proprietary Acoustic Energy aluminum dome tweeter optimized for wide bandwidth and low distortion
- Wide Dispersion Technology (WDT) waveguide for enhanced room integration
- RCA and balanced XLR input connections
- Switchable mains voltage 110/240V
- +/- 2dB treble adjustment and +/- 2dB bass cut for precise system integration
- Adjustable volume control on each speaker
- Frequency response 40Hz-25kHz +/-6dB
- Active 4th order minimum phase crossover
- CE EN55013/20 safety certification
- Available in Piano Black, White and Cherry real wood veneer finishes
- Please Note: Acoustic Energy Speaker Stands are sold separately
The tweeter is an all-new Acoustic Energy designed 27mm metal dome unit designed to work in harmony with Acoustic Energy's Wide Dispersion Technology (WDT) waveguide. The result is perfect integration with the mid/bass driver, with extremely wide and spacious imaging.
Key to the success of the AE1 Active design is its unique pure piston ceramic aluminum cone technology. Now in its fifth generation, this 125mm ceramic hard-anodized spun aluminum cone offers exceptional stiffness at low weight. This negates the cone flex and break-up nodes at frequencies typical of paper and plastic cone designs.
Electronically, the AE1 Active is proudly an all-analog design focused on performance without compromise. This includes wired analog inputs, both balanced XLR and standard RCA, the highest quality linear power supplies and two pair-matched, high-performance 50Watt Class A/B amplifiers per speaker. While the design team experimented with wireless inputs, switch mode power supplies, Class D amplification and DSP, none delivered the audio performance befitting of a loudspeaker wearing the legendary AE1 badge.
The cabinet is an extensively braced heavyweight fiberboard construction with internal damping panels and the introduction of a slot port to the AE1 design for the first time. With several Acoustic Energy models already benefiting from the company’s R&D program into slot port loading, the AE1 Active’s port delivers unrivaled cross-sectional area, reduced baffle space, and significantly reduced ‘wind-noise’ at high volumes.